Fitting xtickslabels on a plot (matplotlib)

In summary, the conversation discusses ways to improve the code for a plot displaying energy consumption data. The expert suggests reducing the number of ticks displayed and adjusting the step size for the x-axis ticks. They also suggest using the fig.tight_layout() method to fit the xtickslabels into the figure. The expert also mentions that the title and ylabel can be adjusted to fit into the figure by using the set_xlim() and set_yticks() methods.
schniefen
TL;DR Summary
Fitting xtickslabels on plot
How could I improve the below code to fit all the xtickslabels on my plot more nicely (i.e. more spacing between the labels, higher resolution)? Thanks!

Python:
from pyplot import *
yearmonthday=['2003-01-01', '2003-02-01', '2003-03-01', ...] #len(yearmonthday) is 155
kwh = [88883, 99221, 100002, ...]
fig,ax=subplots(figsize=(9,2))
ax.plot(range(len(kwh)),kwh)
ax.set_xticks(range(len(yearmonthday)))
ax.set_xticklabels(yearmonthday, fontsize = 4,rotation=60)
ax.set_xlim(0,155,310)
fig.tight_layout()
ax.set_title('Energy consumption 2003-2015')
ax.set_ylabel('Kilowatthour')

plotx.png

Technology news on Phys.org
I propose to reduce the number of the ticks. You don't have to display a tick for each of the day, you can display only every second day for example, or every seventh day (if you prefer weekly basis).
Below I slightly updated your lines 6 and 7, in order to display a tick for every "step"-th day.

Python:
step = 7
ax.set_xticks(range(0, len(yearmonthday), step))
ax.set_xticklabels(yearmonthday[::step], fontsize=4, rotation=60)

Likes schniefen and Ibix
You're right, it's not necessary to display all dates. However, how would one make the title and the ylabel also fit into the figure? fig.tight_layout() fits the xtickslabels into the figure, but displaces the title and the ylabel somewhat outside of it.

Python:
fig,ax=subplots(figsize=(8,3))
ax.plot(range(len(kwh)),kwh)
step = 7
ax.set_xticks(range(0, len(yearmonthday), step))
ax.set_xticklabels(yearmonthday[::step], fontsize=10, rotation=60)
ax.set_xlim(0,155)
ax.set_yticks([100000,200000,300000])
ax.set_yticklabels(['$10^5$','$2 \cdot 10^5$','$3\cdot10^5$'], fontsize=10)
plt.tight_layout()
ax.set_title('Energy consumption 2003-2015')
ax.set_ylabel('Kilowatthour')
savefig('plotx.png',dpi=1200)
plotx.png

Although I don't have your data, I tried to reproduce your code in jupyter notebook with %matplotlib inline option. And both, ylabel and title, look OK, not cropped as in your figure.

Likes schniefen

1. How can I change the font size of xtickslabels on a plot using matplotlib?

To change the font size of xtickslabels on a plot in matplotlib, you can use the xticks function and specify the fontsize parameter. For example: plt.xticks(fontsize=12) will change the font size of the xtickslabels to 12 points.

2. Is it possible to rotate the xtickslabels on a plot in matplotlib?

Yes, it is possible to rotate the xtickslabels on a plot in matplotlib. You can use the rotation parameter in the xticks function to specify the rotation angle in degrees. For example: plt.xticks(rotation=45) will rotate the xtickslabels by 45 degrees.

3. How can I adjust the spacing between xtickslabels on a plot in matplotlib?

To adjust the spacing between xtickslabels on a plot in matplotlib, you can use the xticks function and specify the pad parameter. For example: plt.xticks(pad=0.5) will set the spacing between xtickslabels to 0.5 points.

4. Can I customize the format of xtickslabels on a plot in matplotlib?

Yes, you can customize the format of xtickslabels on a plot in matplotlib using the xticks function and specifying the format parameter. This parameter takes a format string as its value, which can include placeholders for different date and time components. For example: plt.xticks(format="%d-%m-%Y") will format the xtickslabels to display the date in the format of day-month-year.

5. How can I set the xtickslabels on a plot to be evenly spaced?

To set the xtickslabels on a plot to be evenly spaced, you can use the xticks function and specify the ticks parameter. This parameter takes a list or array of values which will be used as the positions of the xtickslabels. You can also use the np.linspace function to generate evenly spaced values. For example: plt.xticks(ticks=np.linspace(0,10,5)) will set 5 evenly spaced xtickslabels on the plot, starting from 0 and ending at 10.