1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fletcher's Trolley (Hanging Mass Problem)

1. Apr 5, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A 1.20kg object is placed on a smoothe level table and is attached to a hanging mass using a light string over frictionless pulley in a Fletcher's trolley arrangement. The 1.20kg object accelerates along the table at 2.31m/s^2 while the hanging object accelerates down at the same rate. Determine the

a. Mass of the hanging object

b. tension in the string

3. The attempt at a solution

I drew 2 FBDs with the forces acting on each individual mass.

We know that Fapp = Fg2 = T

What I can't figure out is a formula that rearranges the variables to find m2

For example, I know that a = F/∑m

But we don't know what ∑m is.

We could relate Fapp to Fg2, but to do that we'd need to know m2

We can relate T to Fapp or Fg2, but we'd need to know m2...

You can see my dilemma. I've tried a good 10 different formulas, and now I'm just spitballing. I have no idea how I am supposed to create a formula that tells us m2 without knowing F

Please help.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 5, 2014 #2
    Care to share your FBD's?

4. Apr 5, 2014 #3
    Actually, I had a friend help me. Thanks anyways though. It turns out I was forgetting to factor in Fnet (the masses are moving). Fnet would have had me using a formula like this.

m2a = m2g - m1a

And solving from there.

It's very clear I need to remember that T ≠ Fg/2 while it is moving, but that T = Fapp

/thread

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted