1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Floor Function (Greatest Integer Function) Identity

1. Dec 28, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Prove that, for all [itex]x, y \in \mathbb{R}[/itex],

[itex][2x] + [2y] \geq [x] + [y] + [x + y][/itex].

2. Relevant equations

I am using [itex][\cdot][/itex] to represent the floor function, and [itex]\{\cdot\}[/itex] to represent the fractional part of a real number ([itex]\{x\} = x - [x][/itex] for real numbers [itex]x[/itex]).

We may take for granted that [itex][x + y] \geq [x] + [y][/itex]. (1)

We may also take for granted that [itex][x + n] = [x] + n[/itex] for [itex]n \in \mathbb{Z}[/itex].

3. The attempt at a solution

Let [itex]x[/itex] and [itex]y[/itex] be real numbers. Using inequality (1) above, we see that [itex][2x] \geq 2[x][/itex] and [itex][2y] \geq 2[y][/itex]. So I can say that

[itex][2x] + [2y] \geq 2[x] + 2[y][/itex]. (a)

By definition, [itex]x = \{x\} + [x][/itex], so we see that [itex][x + y] = [\{x\} + [x] + \{y\} + [y]] = [\{x\} + \{y\}] + [x] + [y] \leq 1 + [x] + [y][/itex]. This is equivalent to

[itex]-[x + y] \geq -1 - [x] - [y][/itex]. (b)

Adding equations (a) and (b), we see that

[itex][2x] + [2y] + 1 \geq [x] + [y] + [x + y][/itex].

I am annoyingly close, and as much as I wish I could get rid of that pesky '1', I can't seem to at the moment. Could someone please give me a little direction? Thank you!

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 28, 2011 #2
    Using the fact that [itex][2x] = [x] + [x + 1/2][/itex], I figured it out!!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook