Fluid Dynamics: Finding Speed in Venturi Tube

In summary, the horizontal constricted pipe, also known as a Venturi tube, can be used to measure flow velocities in an incompressible fluid. The ratio of cross section areas of the tube is A2/A1 = 0.478 and the difference in pressures is P1-P2 = 18.2 Pa. Using Bernoulli's equation and the given information, the speed of the fluid near the right hand end of the tube (v2) can be found.
victorlee2

Homework Statement

The horizontal constricted pipe illustrated in
lee (vl3765) – UTHW#34-Dluid Dynamics1 – hamaguchi – (32001) 3
the figure (a Venturi tube), can be used to
measure flow velocities in an incompressible
fluid.
The ratio for the cross section areas of the
tube is A2/A1 = 0.478, the difference in the
pressures is P1 −P2 = dP = 18.2 Pa , and the
density of the fluid is 1.08 kg/m3.
Find the speed of the fluid near the right
hand end of the tube (i.e., find v2).

Homework Equations

Bernoulli's equation

The Attempt at a Solution

alright so i wrote out the bernoulli's equation P1 + 1/2rov1^2 + rogh1 = P2 + 1/2rov2^2 + rogh2

so they told us that P1-_2 = 18.2 so i moved P2 to the other side, thus making it 18.2. then since A2/A1 = .478 that means v1/v2 = .478 as well. doing that i found out that v1 = v2*.478. so i just plugged all these founds into the equation. also since height is = 0m, both sides with the h's are crossed out leaving P1 + 1/2 rov1^2 = P2 + 1/2rov2^2. i cannot get the answer and this homework is due in 1/2 an hr. I've been working on this for 4 hours straight no joke. PLEASE HELP

Physics news on Phys.org
forget it.

I would suggest checking your calculations and making sure you have the correct values for all variables. It is also important to double check your units and make sure they are consistent throughout the equation. If you are still having trouble, I would recommend seeking help from a classmate, TA, or professor. It is important to not rush through homework and to take the time to fully understand the problem and solution. Good luck!

Related to Fluid Dynamics: Finding Speed in Venturi Tube

1. What is fluid dynamics?

Fluid dynamics is the study of how fluids (liquids and gases) move and behave under various conditions, such as flow rate, pressure, and velocity.

2. How does a Venturi tube work?

A Venturi tube is a device that is used to measure the speed of a fluid flow. It works by creating a constriction in a pipe, which causes the fluid to accelerate. The speed of the fluid can then be calculated by measuring the pressure difference before and after the constriction.

3. What is the equation for finding speed in a Venturi tube?

The equation for finding speed in a Venturi tube is: Q = A1V1 = A2V2, where Q is the flow rate, A is the cross-sectional area, and V is the velocity of the fluid.

4. What factors can affect the accuracy of speed measurements in a Venturi tube?

There are several factors that can affect the accuracy of speed measurements in a Venturi tube, including the shape and size of the constriction, the viscosity of the fluid, and any disturbances in the flow such as turbulence or air bubbles.

5. How is fluid dynamics used in real-world applications?

Fluid dynamics has many practical applications, such as in the design of airplanes, cars, and ships, as well as in the study of weather patterns and ocean currents. It is also used in industries such as oil and gas, where accurate measurements of fluid flow are crucial for production and transportation processes.