Is Bernoulli's Equation Applicable for Finding Pressure in Hydraulics Problems?

In summary: Please explain.In summary, the conversation discusses using Bernoulli's equation to solve for pressure at P1 in a problem involving a pipe with varying pressure and height. The attempt at a solution involves using Bernoulli's equation to find P1, but the solution does not make sense as it results in a negative pressure. The conversation also mentions using the energy equation and including head losses, but it is unclear how to incorporate this into the solution.
fayan77

Homework Statement

Screen Shot 2018-10-04 at 7.43.51 PM.png

Homework Equations

y1+P1/##\gamma##+##\alpha##v12/2g = y2+P2/##\gamma##+##\alpha##v22/2g + hL

The Attempt at a Solution

so it gives me pressure at p2 but not p1. I tried using Bernoulli's equation to find p1 i did plugged into energy equation above and got an answer but it did not make sense i got hL = .01 ft (I assumed that v1 = v2 but i do not think that is valid)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-10-04 at 7.43.51 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-10-04 at 7.43.51 PM.png
    12.6 KB · Views: 316
Physics news on Phys.org
fayan77 said:
got an answer
Please post your working (and not as an image - those are for textbook extracts and diagrams).

...That is the problem exercise. Do you want me to type it instead?
I would like some direction so I can try it and post my work. Am I correct to use Bernoulli's equation to find P1? and will velocities be the same in both sections?

fayan77 said:
That is the problem exercise. Do you want me to type it instead?
The image you posted is fine. I am asking you to post your own working, but not as an image. I find that if I do not say that up front the working gets posted as an image which is hard to read and even harder to comment on.
fayan77 said:
Am I correct to use Bernoulli's equation to find P1? and will velocities be the same in both sections?
Yes and yes.

Likes Delta2
ok, So I start off with Bernoulli's equation solving for P1. Because v1 = v2 the kinetic energy term will cancel out leaving us with

P1 + ##\rho##gh1 = P2 + ##\rho##gh2
P1 +(1.94)(32.2)(80) = 2592 + (1.94)(32.3)(12)
P1 = -1655.8 psf
This does not make sense to me ( having a negative pressure at the top of the system)
Anyways now I will use the energy equation assume ##\alpha## = 1 also because v1 = v2 velocity head will cancel out from equation
y1 + P1/##\gamma## +##\alpha##v12/2g = y2 + P2/##\gamma## +##\alpha##v22/2g + hL
80 + (-1655.8/62.4) = 12 + (2592/62.4) + hL
hL = -.07 ft
This does not make sense to me (negative head) also I am certain that I am approaching this the wrong way because I did not use all the givens in the problem like Q, and L of pipe, and diameter of the pipe.

fayan77 said:
I start off with Bernoulli's equation
Ok, I misunderstood what you meant by that in post #1.
Bernoulli's equation is an energy equation, but it assumes no losses. I took your "relevant equation" to be a modified Bernoulli that allowed for losses. However, I am not familiar with this form, so please explain what α and γ represent, or post a link.
I would take the inlet pressure to be atmospheric and the outlet pressure to be 18 psi higher. I am not sure what the height info means, but it sounds like there is a drop of 68 ft along the pipe. That's a bit over two atmospheres, so with no flow one would expect a pressure difference of over 30 psi.
It is not clear what form of answer is required... is it the percentage loss or rate of loss?

Divide Bernoulli's equation by ##\gamma## and include head losses. Everything is in terms of head (length) ##\gamma## = ##\rho##g alpha is coefficient correction

fayan77 said:
Divide Bernoulli's equation by ##\gamma## and include head losses. Everything is in terms of head (length) ##\gamma## = ##\rho##g alpha is coefficient correction
Ok, that's about what I guessed. Does the "coefficient correction" represent the the loss due to drag? Or does hL represent energy loss?

1. How does a hydraulic system work?

A hydraulic system uses a fluid, typically oil, to transfer force from one point to another. The system consists of a pump, which pressurizes the fluid, and a series of tubes and cylinders that allow the fluid to flow and exert force. When the pump is activated, it pushes the fluid into the tubes, creating pressure that is then used to move a piston or other mechanical component.

2. What is the difference between hydraulics and pneumatics?

Hydraulics and pneumatics are both methods of transferring force using a fluid, but they differ in the type of fluid used. Hydraulics use an incompressible fluid, such as oil, while pneumatics use a compressible gas, typically air. This difference in fluid properties leads to variations in system design and performance.

3. How does fluid viscosity affect hydraulic systems?

Fluid viscosity is a measure of how easily a fluid flows. In hydraulic systems, higher viscosity fluids can provide greater resistance to flow, which can be beneficial for controlling the speed and movement of components. However, too high of a viscosity can lead to increased friction and reduced efficiency in the system.

4. What are some common applications of hydraulic systems?

Hydraulic systems are used in a variety of applications, including heavy machinery such as excavators and cranes, automotive braking systems, aircraft landing gear, and elevators. They are also commonly used in industrial and manufacturing processes, such as in presses for shaping metal or in hydraulic presses for molding plastics.

5. How can I troubleshoot common issues with a hydraulic system?

Some common issues with hydraulic systems include leaks, air bubbles in the fluid, and loss of pressure. To troubleshoot these problems, it is important to regularly check and maintain the system, identify and repair any leaks, and ensure that the fluid is clean and free of air bubbles. It may also be helpful to consult the system's manual or seek the advice of a professional if the issue persists.