Fluid Flow: Principal Rates of Deformation/Principal Axes

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 8K views
jhuleea
Messages
9
Reaction score
0
Hi all,

I've been stumped on this problem for over a month. Any guidance would alleviate my overwhelming frustration. Here is the original problem statement:

Find the principal rates of deformation and principal axes for the flow given by: u = (x,y) and v = 0, satisfying the continuity equation (density = rho = constant)
[tex]\frac{\partial u_i}{\partial x_i} = 0[/tex]​

Attached to this post is my attempt to work out the solution. I'm not sure how to proceed on, so your help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
 
Attachments
  • HW3 p2.jpg
    HW3 p2.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 767
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
jhuleea said:
Hi all,
Find the principal rates of deformation and principal axes for the flow given by: u = (x,y) and v = 0, satisfying the continuity equation (density = rho = constant)
I guess that continuity should be du_i/dx_i=0 instead of div(u_3)=0.

Anyhew, your solution seems correct up till and including the principal directions (with the note that u=u(y) only, i.e. 2-D shear flow). When I calculate the principal values and directions in the old fashion way (as eigenvalues/eigenvectors of the strain rate tensor), I get the same directions, but principal values are +/- du/dy.

Cheers //Rope