Fluid is a refrigirant and pressurized like in most air conditioners

• Thread starter plucker_08
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Air Fluid
In summary, the conversation discusses two main topics related to air conditioning systems. The first topic is about connecting two pipes with varying diameters and avoiding leakage during the process. The second topic is about testing the capacity of an evaporator and the necessary equipment needed for the test. Additionally, there is a question about the design to ensure that no refrigerant is left in the evaporator and returns to the tank.
plucker_08
situation:

1. i have 2 pipes. the source is pipe A and i will connect it to pipe B. the diameter of Pipe varies and has a range, let's say around 1 in. pipe A can be larger than pipe B. what mechanism shall i i use in order to avoid leakage during the process? the fluid is a refrigirant and pressurized like in most air conditioners (window-type)

2. i have this evaporator and i want to test its capacity. do i need to have the complete aircon parts (condenser, compressor, expansion device, etc) or just a refrigirant tank, pump and an air source.?

3. if the test is done, what design shall i use to be sure that there is no refrigirant left in the evaporator and it goes back to the tank?

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
1. Your first question is unfinished...

2. You can't test an evaporator without a functional air conditioning cycle.

3. Not sure about this one - I guess I always thought a little bit of the gas was lost.

so, what will i do to minimize the refrigirant left in the heat exchanger?

i've edited the 1st post,,,

What is a refrigerant?

A refrigerant is a substance used in a refrigeration system to transfer heat from one area to another. It is typically in a liquid or gas form and has a low boiling point, allowing it to absorb heat easily.

Why is fluid used as a refrigerant in most air conditioners?

Fluids, such as gases or liquids, are used as refrigerants in air conditioners because they have the ability to easily change from a liquid to a gas and back to a liquid again. This allows them to absorb and release heat efficiently, making them ideal for cooling systems.

What does it mean for fluid to be pressurized in an air conditioner?

In an air conditioner, fluid is pressurized by a compressor, which increases its temperature and pressure. This allows the fluid to easily absorb heat from the indoor air and release it outside, creating a cooling effect.

Why is it important for a refrigerant to have a low boiling point?

A refrigerant with a low boiling point is able to easily change from a liquid to a gas, absorbing heat in the process. This is essential for the cooling process in air conditioners, as it allows the refrigerant to remove heat from the indoor air and release it outside.

Are there any alternative refrigerants besides fluid used in air conditioners?

Yes, there are alternative refrigerants, such as hydrocarbons, ammonia, and carbon dioxide, that are being increasingly used in air conditioners due to their lower environmental impact. However, fluid remains the most commonly used refrigerant due to its efficiency and availability.