Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fluid Least Likely to Leak Through O-Ring?

1. Feb 18, 2009 #1
    I am building a prototype, and I was just wondering what fluid I should use that is the least likely to seap through the interface of a steel rod and a small O-Ring, as the steel rod moves forward through the O-Ring. This fluid should not freeze at 25 degrees fahrenheit, and should be relatively incompressible.

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 18, 2009 #2

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

You need to select something that is chemically compatible with the elastomer the o-ring is made of. That combined with proper gland design will be the only way to ensure a leak free installation.

4. Feb 18, 2009 #3
    This actually doesn't need to last long, just a day or two so I can use this once. High performance also isn't particularly important, just that nothing leaks out the seal. I guess I am wondering what the highest viscosity fluid would be that wouldn't freeze in a freezer. (Is it viscosity that would determine this?)

5. Feb 18, 2009 #4

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

Hydraulic fluid, engine oil, canola oil, glycerin, antifreeze, etc...pretty much anything that's doesn't have water as a major component.

6. Feb 18, 2009 #5
    What's the surface finish of the steel rod?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook