Fluid mechanics - Conservation of mass problem

In summary, the conversation discusses the equation of continuity and how it relates to the mass flow rate through a nozzle. The equation states that the flow rate past one cross section of a pipe should be the same as that through another cross section. The volume flow rate can be obtained by multiplying the cross-sectional area with the velocity, and the mass flow rate can be determined by multiplying the volume flow rate with the density of the liquid. The conversation also mentions possible scenarios where the mass flow rate through the nozzle could be positive and clarifies that dm/dt is usually the mass flow rate through the nozzle.
theBEAST

Homework Statement

Here is the question along with my attempt:
dLoPSlY.jpg

As you see in my second equation there are two unknowns, A_out and dm/dt.

I think my problem is that I don't exactly understand the equation. dm/dt is the net mass flow rate. For example if dm/dt is a positive number then there is more flowing into the nozzle than there is flowing out. In other words there is a build up of mass in the nozzle? I guess this isn't possible since we have a nozzle and that is why in this case dm/dt = 0? Because that is the only other way I can think of doing this problem but I am not too sure.

In what case could dm/dt be positive? I am guessing when there is a tank that can be filled... But how do I know that the nozzle doesn't have a small pouch where the mass can build on itself...?

Also when they say "mass flow rate through the nozzle" is this dm/dt or is it the mass flow INTO the inlet nozzle?

Thanks!

Edit: for those who read through my solution attempt, there is a mistake in the last line where I did my conversion from 80cm^2 to 80m^2. the 100cm/1m needs to be flipped.

Physics news on Phys.org
dm/dt is usually the mass flow rate through the nozzle.

The equation of continuity states that the flow rate past one cross section of a pipe needs to be the same as that through another cross section

J = A1v1 = A2v2

This gives you the volume flow rate. If multiplied by the density of the liquid one would get the mass flow rate passing through a cross section of the pipe.

1. What is the conservation of mass principle?

The conservation of mass principle states that the total mass of a closed system remains constant over time. This means that mass cannot be created or destroyed, only transformed from one form to another.

2. How is the conservation of mass applied in fluid mechanics?

In fluid mechanics, the conservation of mass is applied through the continuity equation, which states that the mass flow rate into a control volume must equal the mass flow rate out of the control volume. This ensures that the total mass within the system remains constant.

3. What is an example of a conservation of mass problem in fluid mechanics?

An example of a conservation of mass problem in fluid mechanics could be the flow of water through a pipe. The amount of water entering the pipe must equal the amount of water exiting the pipe, in order to satisfy the conservation of mass principle.

4. How does the conservation of mass principle relate to other conservation laws in physics?

The conservation of mass principle is closely related to the conservation of energy and momentum principles. These three laws are known as the fundamental laws of physics and are interconnected, with one principle often depending on the others.

5. Are there any exceptions to the conservation of mass principle?

In general, the conservation of mass principle holds true in most physical systems. However, in certain scenarios such as nuclear reactions or particle interactions, mass may appear to be lost or gained due to the conversion of mass into energy. This is known as the mass-energy equivalence, described by Einstein's famous equation E=mc².