1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fluid mechanics - Conservation of mass problem

1. Feb 10, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Here is the question along with my attempt:
    dLoPSlY.jpg

As you see in my second equation there are two unknowns, A_out and dm/dt.

I think my problem is that I don't exactly understand the equation. dm/dt is the net mass flow rate. For example if dm/dt is a positive number then there is more flowing into the nozzle than there is flowing out. In other words there is a build up of mass in the nozzle? I guess this isn't possible since we have a nozzle and that is why in this case dm/dt = 0? Because that is the only other way I can think of doing this problem but I am not too sure.

In what case could dm/dt be positive? I am guessing when there is a tank that can be filled... But how do I know that the nozzle doesn't have a small pouch where the mass can build on itself...?

Also when they say "mass flow rate through the nozzle" is this dm/dt or is it the mass flow INTO the inlet nozzle?

Thanks!

Edit: for those who read through my solution attempt, there is a mistake in the last line where I did my conversion from 80cm^2 to 80m^2. the 100cm/1m needs to be flipped.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 10, 2013 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

dm/dt is usually the mass flow rate through the nozzle.

4. Feb 10, 2013 #3
    The equation of continuity states that the flow rate past one cross section of a pipe needs to be the same as that through another cross section

J = A1v1 = A2v2

This gives you the volume flow rate. If multiplied by the density of the liquid one would get the mass flow rate passing through a cross section of the pipe.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook