Impact of a Fluid Jet Experiment

In summary: you can just measure the discharge coefficient and contraction coefficient and figure out the velocity coefficient that way.
SherlockOhms

Homework Statement

We recently did an experiment involving the impact of fluid jet on both plane and cupped surfaces. See the diagram attached for the experimental set up. We were asked to 1) verify the conservation of momentum and 2) calculate the discharge coefficient of the nozzle from which the jet emanates.

As you can sort of make out from the diagram below, a jockey mass was placed on a lever arm which was then balanced by the exerted force on the plate below due to the fluid jet. The Force exerted by the fluid can then be found by allowing the moment of the jet's force equal to the moment of the jockey masses weigh about the turning point. Then, you can prove the conservation of momentum by seeing if this value of F equals ##\rho Qv_1## where ##\rho## is the density of water, ##Q## the flow rate and ##v_1## the velocity of the jet leaving the nozzle. ##Q## was calculated an thus the value of ##v_1## could be calculated using the continuity equation and the area of the nozzle. This value was given and the distances from the turning point were measured for each jockey mass applied to balance the various different flow rates. Right so far?

My problem is that I have no clue how to calculate the value of ##C_D## for the nozzle. On our handout it says to use the equation ##C_D = C_V \times C_C## but I have absolutely no idea what ##C_V## and ##C_C## stand for let alone how to find them. Could somebody point me in the right direction?

Homework Equations

##Q = Av##
##F_{Rx} = \rho Q(V_2cos\theta - V1)##

The Attempt at a Solution

Sort of outlined what I've done above.

Attachments

• 78994009.jpg
    78994009.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 5,226
Physics news on Phys.org
You only show the first page of the handout. Are there any other pages? Are you sure you haven't come across Cc and Cv before? Have you done any research?

SteamKing said:
You only show the first page of the handout. Are there any other pages? Are you sure you haven't come across Cc and Cv before? Have you done any research?

That isn't the first page of the handout which we were given. I only posted that to show the equipment set up. I'll post all the pages of our actual handout (there's no reference to ##C_V## or ##C_C## anywhere). No, we've never come across these coefficients in class. I looked up ##C_V## and found that it to be the velocity coefficient. How do I calculate this? I'm yet to find anything on ##C_C##.

ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1386356312.102584.jpg
ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1386356321.735232.jpg
ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1386356333.992646.jpg
ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1386356342.647260.jpg

That's every page.

SherlockOhms said:
That isn't the first page of the handout which we were given. I only posted that to show the equipment set up. I'll post all the pages of our actual handout (there's no reference to ##C_V## or ##C_C## anywhere). No, we've never come across these coefficients in class. I looked up ##C_V## and found that it to be the velocity coefficient. How do I calculate this? I'm yet to find anything on ##C_C##.

CC is the contraction coefficient. It represents how much smaller the effective area of the nozzle is than the measured area. It depends on the shape of the nozzle cross section, turbulence, and shape/tapering of the approach to the nozzle. (See Borda mouthpiece.) I don't know that CC is a standard symbol for it. http://nal-ir.nal.res.in/3759/1/performance_of_clonical.pdf uses CA.

I have not studied the pages you posted (hardly my area of expertise), so I am not certain that you actually need to use the equation that involves CC, but since it is mentioned, I guess you probably do.

haruspex said:
CC is the contraction coefficient. It represents how much smaller the effective area of the nozzle is than the measured area. It depends on the shape of the nozzle cross section, turbulence, and shape/tapering of the approach to the nozzle. (See Borda mouthpiece.) I don't know that CC is a standard symbol for it. http://nal-ir.nal.res.in/3759/1/performance_of_clonical.pdf uses CA.

I have not studied the pages you posted (hardly my area of expertise), so I am not certain that you actually need to use the equation that involves CC, but since it is mentioned, I guess you probably do.

Thanks for that. I actually found something in my notes stating that the value of ##C_C## for a nozzle is approximately 1. Is this correct? If so, how would I go about calculating ##C_V##?

SherlockOhms said:
Thanks for that. I actually found something in my notes stating that the value of ##C_C## for a nozzle is approximately 1. Is this correct? If so, how would I go about calculating ##C_V##?
My (shaky) understanding is that it works the other way around: you determine the discharge coefficient and contraction coefficient by experiment, and deduce the velocity coefficient from the formula. This is why I suspect you don't need the formula at all for the purpose of this question - you are not asked to find CC or CV.
This link might help: http://www.codecogs.com/library/eng...s/pipes/head_loss/nozzles-and-mouthpieces.php.
The awkward part, it seems to me, is that the question asks:
1) verify the conservation of momentum and 2) calculate the discharge coefficient
You can't do (1) without first solving (2), and to solve (2) you need to assume (1). The only way I see around it is to have some independent measurement of the flow rate and flow velocity, but if you didn't take such measurements at the time you're a bit stuffed.

haruspex said:
My (shaky) understanding is that it works the other way around: you determine the discharge coefficient and contraction coefficient by experiment, and deduce the velocity coefficient from the formula. This is why I suspect you don't need the formula at all for the purpose of this question - you are not asked to find CC or CV.

This link might help: http://www.codecogs.com/library/eng...s/pipes/head_loss/nozzles-and-mouthpieces.php.

The awkward part, it seems to me, is that the question asks:
You can't do (1) without first solving (2), and to solve (2) you need to assume (1). The only way I see around it is to have some independent measurement of the flow rate and flow velocity, but if you didn't take such measurements at the time you're a bit stuffed.

Well, we did take measurements of Q throughout the experiment but that was about it. The first question, verifying the conservation of momentum just seemed to be calculating the Force on the plate via the moment balance and then seeing if this matched $$F = \rho Q (V_1 - V_2cos\theta)$$
Where ##Q## is the measured flow rate and ##V_1## can be found using the continuum equation and some simple kinematics. That was my understanding of proving conservation of momentum.

SherlockOhms said:
##V_1## can be found using the continuum equation and some simple kinematics.
But see the link I posted, http://www.codecogs.com/library/eng...s/pipes/head_loss/nozzles-and-mouthpieces.php. The velocity coefficient is the ratio between the theoretical velocity and the actual velocity. Sounds like you're assuming that coefficient is 1. To find a value for it you would need a direct measurement of the velocity.

1. What is the purpose of an impact of a fluid jet experiment?

The purpose of an impact of a fluid jet experiment is to study the effects of a high-velocity fluid jet on a solid surface. This can help understand the mechanisms of erosion, cutting, and other industrial processes that involve high-pressure fluid jets.

2. How is the velocity of the fluid jet controlled in an experiment?

The velocity of the fluid jet can be controlled by adjusting the flow rate of the fluid, the size and shape of the nozzle, and the pressure of the fluid. These factors can be manipulated to achieve different velocities and study their impact on the target surface.

3. What are the different types of targets used in an impact of a fluid jet experiment?

Common targets used in this experiment include flat plates, curved surfaces, and materials with different properties such as metals, plastics, and composites. The choice of target depends on the specific goal of the experiment and the properties of the fluid being used.

4. How is the impact of the fluid jet measured in an experiment?

The impact of the fluid jet is typically measured by recording the pressure, force, and erosion rate on the target surface. High-speed cameras and other imaging techniques can also be used to visualize the impact and erosion patterns of the fluid jet.

5. What are the potential applications of studying the impact of a fluid jet?

Studying the impact of a fluid jet can have various applications in industries such as mining, aerospace, and manufacturing. It can also help in the development of more efficient cutting tools and erosion-resistant materials. Additionally, the findings of these experiments can also be applied in fields such as fluid dynamics and material science.