Flux and current at intersection of two neutron beams at 30°

  • Thread starter Thread starter timman_24
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Current Flux
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 6K views
timman_24
Messages
52
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Two monoenergetic neutron beams I1=2*10^10 and I2=1*10^10 intersect at an angle of 30 degrees. Calculate both the flux and current in the region where they intersect.


Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution



I lined the first I1 up parallel to the x-axis and tilted I2 30 degrees below I1 to make the calculations easier.

attachment.php?attachmentid=32029&stc=1&d=1297136282.png


Flux:

I believe flux is the amount of neutrons passing between the left side to the right side across this arbitrary surface area. I took the surface area to span the y-z axis with the flux passing along the x-axis.

To calculate the flux, I simple did:

I1 + I2*cos(30) = 2.866*10^10 n/(cm^2-s)

Current:

I believe the current to be the vector representation of the net flow. For this I did the following:

J(Jx,Jy) = Jx + Jy
Jx= I1 + I2*cos(30)
Jy= I2*sin(30)

J(Jx,Jy) = 2.866*10^10 i +.5*10^10 j

I am not 100% positive if this is the correct way to do this. I get confused sometimes between current and flux.

Any help would be much appreciated!
 
Attachments
  • cart.png
    cart.png
    612 bytes · Views: 1,039
Physics news on Phys.org
I guess a lot of people have trouble with flux and current? :-p