Flux Density of Salt in Horizontal Tube: How Does Advection Affect Transfer?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 5K views
kathyt.25
Messages
49
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


What is the flux density of salt in a horizontal tube, 10cm in length, connecting seawater (salinity 30g/L) to a tank of freshwater (salinity ~0) assuming no advection occurs?


Homework Equations


J (g/m2s) = C (g/m3) x V (m/s)


The Attempt at a Solution


C = 30g/L * 1L/0.01m3 = 3000g/m3
The calculation is obviously really simple, but I'm not sure what to use for time when calculating velocity (m/s). I'm given the length 10cm, but I'm assuming time has something to do with the statement "assuming no advection occurs". I feel like I'm overlooking some basic assumption.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
What is advection? How can the salt be transferred through the tube?

ehild