Following Up with Potential PhD advisor after Applying?

In summary, the conversation discusses whether it is necessary to follow up with a professor after completing the application procedures for graduate school. Some participants believe it is important to keep channels of communication open and show enthusiasm, while others argue that it is unnecessary and could come off as impatient or pushy. It is suggested to send a short and concise email expressing interest in the professor's research and mentioning that the application process has been completed.
ams
Hi everyone,

I recently finished applying to a university for grad school. Previously, I had contacted a professor with whom I wanted to work with, and it seemed they were also interested in taking me as a PhD student. Ideally, would one follow up (by email) with the professor once they've completed application procedures, or would they leave it at that and wait for further notice from the university? (I don't know how it works in general, so asking here).

Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the point of this followup?

ams said:
(I don't know how it works in general, so asking here)
What country are you in? What country is the university in?

So you have a Bachelor's degree in Physics, and are heading to grad school with the goal of getting your PhD in Physics, right? Does the work that this professor is doing fit your interests for graduate school?

Vanadium 50 said:
What is the point of this followup?

Not much actually. Just to let them know I've applied... A friendly gesture?

berkeman said:
What country are you in? What country is the university in?

So you have a Bachelor's degree in Physics, and are heading to grad school with the goal of getting your PhD in Physics, right? Does the work that this professor is doing fit your interests for graduate school?
I have a bachelor's from India, and I'm trying to get into grad school in the US. The professor's work matches perfectly with what I want to do as a PhD student, and we've talked about research interests/possible research projects I could work on once I get started.

ams said:
ust to let them know I've applied.

But doesn't his department already have your application?

ams said:
Hi everyone,

I recently finished applying to a university for grad school. Previously, I had contacted a professor with whom I wanted to work with, and it seemed they were also interested in taking me as a PhD student. Ideally, would one follow up (by email) with the professor once they've completed application procedures, or would they leave it at that and wait for further notice from the university? (I don't know how it works in general, so asking here).

Thanks in advance
For something as important as this I would definitely keep my finger on the pulse and keep channels of communication open.

It's risky to sit back and just assume the wheels are in motion.

Obviously you don't want to make a nuisance of yourself, but keeping in touch in the right way is a key people skill. It could make all the difference.

ams said:
Ideally, would one follow up (by email) with the professor once they've completed application procedures, or would they leave it at that and wait for further notice from the university?

In most cases follow-up is unnecessary unless you have some specific questions.

PeroK said:
It's risky to sit back and just assume the wheels are in motion.

Do you really think they got his application and the wheels are not in motion? It's not like the university has never had graduate applications before.

PeroK said:
Obviously you don't want to make a nuisance of yourself

"I just sent you my application? Didja get it?" sounds like one to me. If there are no specific aims, I don't see the need to pester people. Maybe it shows enthusiasm, but it also shows a lack of patience.

Vanadium 50 said:
Do you really think they got his application and the wheels are not in motion? It's not like the university has never had graduate applications before.
"I just sent you my application? Didja get it?" sounds like one to me. If there are no specific aims, I don't see the need to pester people. Maybe it shows enthusiasm, but it also shows a lack of patience.
In my experience, patience may be a virtue, but there are no rewards for being patient.

I've worked with a lot of good project managers and they would always keep on top of something like this.

"I just sent you my application? Didja get it? Didja?" sounds pesty to me. The odds of the department forgetting about the application are low, so as a risk-reward question, I wouldn't open communications until I had something worth saying.

ams said:
The professor's work matches perfectly with what I want to do as a PhD student, and we've talked about research interests/possible research projects I could work on once I get started.
Vanadium 50 said:
I wouldn't open communications until I had something worth saying.
I think I would use the angle of your interest in his research areas. Something like "I enjoyed communicating with you about possible research opportunities, and just wanted to follow up to let you know that I've completed the application process." And if the prof has done something recently (published a new paper, etc.), you could read through it and add a comment about that work. Low-key and short, but emphasizing that you are interested in their work, and you have done your part by submitting the application.

Likes Dr. Courtney and RJLiberator
berkeman said:
I think I would use the angle of your interest in his research areas. Something like "I enjoyed communicating with you about possible research opportunities, and just wanted to follow up to let you know that I've completed the application process." And if the prof has done something recently (published a new paper, etc.), you could read through it and add a comment about that work. Low-key and short, but emphasizing that you are interested in their work, and you have done your part by submitting the application.

This is perfect. You don't want to go quiet and run the risk of being forgotten (we all know how busy professors are), but you also don't want to do what Vanadium 50 is suggesting (didja get it).
By putting in that bit of effort to show more interests in the PHD advisors work, you are making the email authentic and under the guise of usefulness.

Just don't write an essay in your email to him/her. Make it concise

Likes berkeman
Thanks everyone. Of course, I know the admissions committee has received my application, and I don't want to seem like a nuisance, so I'll make sure to write a subtle follow-up email.

Likes berkeman
Why not ask a question that assumes things are in motion and have them correct you otherwise? That way you don't come off as much of nuisance. Say, you ask if your research will start right away or if you will need something for your next ( expected by you) semester?

Well, we have been discussing a few papers, so I'll just add a sentence about my application at the end of the discussion email.

1. How long should I wait before following up with a potential PhD advisor after applying?

It is generally recommended to wait at least 2-3 weeks before following up with a potential PhD advisor after applying. This gives them enough time to review your application and make a decision.

2. What is the best way to follow up with a potential PhD advisor after applying?

The best way to follow up is through email. Make sure to keep your email professional and concise, and include your name, the program you applied to, and a brief reminder of your qualifications and interest in the program.

3. Is it appropriate to follow up with multiple potential PhD advisors after applying?

No, it is not appropriate to follow up with multiple potential PhD advisors after applying. It is important to focus on one advisor at a time and give them the opportunity to review your application and respond before reaching out to another.

4. Should I include any additional materials when following up with a potential PhD advisor after applying?

It is generally not necessary to include additional materials when following up with a potential PhD advisor after applying. However, if you have recently published a relevant paper or have relevant experience that was not included in your initial application, you may mention it in your follow-up email.

5. What should I do if I don't receive a response from a potential PhD advisor after following up?

If you do not receive a response after following up with a potential PhD advisor, it is best to wait a few more weeks before reaching out again. If you still do not receive a response, it may be best to move on and focus on other potential advisors.