Football padding against forces -- What is the appropriate amount?

• B
  • Thread starter LightningInAJar
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Forces
In summary, the conversation discusses the appropriate amount of padding needed in football to protect players from injuries. There is a concern that too much padding can make the game more violent and potentially cause more harm. However, it is also noted that football is a violent sport by design and injuries are expected. The conversation also touches on the long-term effects of playing football and the potential risks of chronic injuries, such as CTE. It is mentioned that while injuries may not be avoidable, there are ways to minimize the risks. The recent injury of Damar Hamlin is discussed and experts weigh in on the possible causes, including a sudden impact to the chest or a traumatic brain injury. The conversation concludes with the personal decision of one participant to not allow
LightningInAJar
TL;DR Summary
What is the appropriate amount of padding?
I don't know much about forces, speed, and what is needed to cushion a blow. But after seeing the serious injury of Damar Hamlin, is there a way to create equipment that can easily cushion any impact an NFL player can apply to another player? Or does the equipment get too heavy by that point that motion in general becomes too difficult? Is it a self defeating process? Surely they'd maximize protection if it were possible?

Physics news on Phys.org
LightningInAJar said:
TL;DR Summary: What is the appropriate amount of padding?

Is it a self defeating process? Surely they'd maximize protection if it were possible?
It is a body contact sport, injuries can be expected.
The more padding, the more violent will be the contact between players.
At some point, the padding becomes a weapon.

Likes DrJohn and pinball1970
Football padding is good at spreading out the force over a larger area, and a little bit good at spreading it out in time. But it doesn't really change the amount of energy (or impulse) received. It is a violent sport by design, yet we aren't maiming or killing that many players considering how many people play. I would be much more concern with longer term, chronic, injuries, which are common* for those who play for many years.

OTOH, if I had kids, they wouldn't play football. In the long run, injuries aren't really avoidable. Ask any 60 year old who played at a high level about their knees...

* "the studies that aim to identify the prevalence of CTE in football players have shown unequivocal findings. In the largest ever case series of CTE, involving 202 deceased former football players, Mez et al. (49) demonstrated the existence of CTE in 87%, including 99% ex-NFL Players (49). Additionally, the magnitude of disease burden was correlated to level of play, with high school athletes having mild CTE, and NFL players showcasing the most severe form of CTE. In a retrospective cohort study of 3,493 NFL players, Lehman et al. (50) concluded the risk of mortality due to neurodegenerative causes to be 3x higher than the general US population, and 4x higher for ALS and AD (50). Additionally, ex-NFL players over the age of 50 have also been shown to be 5x more likely to be diagnosed with dementia than national population averages (51)."
-- https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6018081/

• Informative
Likes pinball1970
LightningInAJar said:

But after seeing the serious injury of Damar Hamlin
He was not injured from making that tackle; he had a cardiac arrest.

Edit/Update -- Now a doctor is saying that it might be related to the hit, which I read was only on his shoulder, but maybe there is more to it...

Dr. David Montgomery, a board-certified cardiologist and host of “Dr. TV,” offered his insight into what he saw examining the hit and said he thinks there are two distinct possibilities.

“One is what we’ve been hearing about, which is that there is a sudden contact to the chest and impact to the chest that causes a chaotic rhythm to happen and the heart stops beating. We call that commotio cordis; it’s Latin, it just means commotion or chaos in the heart rhythm,” he explained.

“The other distinct possibility is that when he sustained the impact, that he got a blow to the chin, the chin then referred back into the brain and causing sort of an acute traumatic brain injury.”

Montgomery said while it is rare, someone can have a traumatic cardiac arrest in seconds to minutes after a severe enough traumatic brain injury.
https://www.newsnationnow.com/us-ne...e=kron4.com&utm_medium=newsnation-cross-brand

Last edited:
Likes Lnewqban
Baluncore said:
A pillow can never be a weapon? Couldn't padding be so much that moving with it is half the battle? Knights had mobility issues, but were largely safer from swords in their heavy metal casing?

Likes russ_watters
DaveE said:
Football padding is good at spreading out the force over a larger area, and a little bit good at spreading it out in time. But it doesn't really change the amount of energy (or impulse) received. It is a violent sport by design, yet we aren't maiming or killing that many players considering how many people play. I would be much more concern with longer term, chronic, injuries, which are common* for those who play for many years.

OTOH, if I had kids, they wouldn't play football. In the long run, injuries aren't really avoidable. Ask any 60 year old who played at a high level about their knees...

* "the studies that aim to identify the prevalence of CTE in football players have shown unequivocal findings. In the largest ever case series of CTE, involving 202 deceased former football players, Mez et al. (49) demonstrated the existence of CTE in 87%, including 99% ex-NFL Players (49). Additionally, the magnitude of disease burden was correlated to level of play, with high school athletes having mild CTE, and NFL players showcasing the most severe form of CTE. In a retrospective cohort study of 3,493 NFL players, Lehman et al. (50) concluded the risk of mortality due to neurodegenerative causes to be 3x higher than the general US population, and 4x higher for ALS and AD (50). Additionally, ex-NFL players over the age of 50 have also been shown to be 5x more likely to be diagnosed with dementia than national population averages (51)."
-- https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6018081/
I hope someday gene therapy can promote brain damage repair.

LightningInAJar said:
A pillow can never be a weapon? Couldn't padding be so much that moving with it is half the battle? Knights had mobility issues, but were largely safer from swords in their heavy metal casing?
You are correct. So the issue is that the NFL and other football leagues do not want to reduce mobility in pursuit of safety.

LightningInAJar said:
Football played by knights in armour would be an interesting spectacle!

Likes berkeman and russ_watters
LightningInAJar said:

I don't know much about forces, speed, and what is needed to cushion a blow. But after seeing the serious injury of Damar Hamlin, is there a way to create equipment that can easily cushion any impact an NFL player can apply to another player? Or does the equipment get too heavy by that point that motion in general becomes too difficult? Is it a self defeating process? Surely they'd maximize protection if it were possible?
The padding will reduce the chances of fracture, cuts, bruising where you have pads but they do not protect your organs.
Your brain will shake in your skull regardless of protective head gear if a strong force is applied.
Hamlin took the hit in the chest then got up and collapsed backwards and hit his head on the turf.
Both hits would have jolted his brain and heart to some extent.

This is article is interesting on brain injury w.r.t. boxing

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2...-out-who-cares-boxing-brain-damage-tris-dixon

Association football (heading the ball)

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...lth-warning-dementia-expert-dr-willie-stewart

and finally rugby, the closest thing to NFL.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/b...-it-is-going-away-the-game-is-deluding-itself

pinball1970 said:
The padding will reduce the chances of fracture, cuts, bruising where you have pads but they do not protect your organs.
Your brain will shake in your skull regardless of protective head gear if a strong force is applied.
Hamlin took the hit in the chest then got up and collapsed backwards and hit his head on the turf.
While basically true as stated, that's misleading. Padding doesn't eliminate but does substantially reduce impact forces (acceleration).

Likes berkeman
Listening to sports radio today, it was pointed out that this was a freak injury that is different from the typical/common injuries in football. So it doesn't really warrant changes. The risk of this injury is actually higher in baseball, amongst amateurs(getting hit in the chest by the ball).

PeroK said:
Football played by knights in armour would be an interesting spectacle!
Definitely jousting if it goes to OT.

Likes berkeman
russ_watters said:
Listening to sports radio today, it was pointed out that this was a freak injury that is different from the typical/common injuries in football. So it doesn't really warrant changes. The risk of this injury is actually higher in baseball, amongst amateurs(getting hit in the chest by the ball).
A relative who is a nurse said something about an impact hitting the chest at a particular moment in the cycle of heartbeat is what it might take to throw it out of sync. So this probably is a freak accident. But it is still horrible that this is a sport that they feel the need to pray before every game. Nik Wallenda the tight rope walker prays while he's walking. I don't know the attraction towards sport with such great risk if not for money.

Likes russ_watters
LightningInAJar said:
I don't know the attraction towards sport with such great risk if not for money.
Well, I rode motocross (MX) for many years with berkeboy, and it wasn't for money. There are many enjoyable parts of action sports, but certainly if you can do something you love at the professional level and get paid for it, that is even better. You can be assured that we wore the best protective gear we could get, and were smart about how we worked our way up to the biggest jumps/whoops/obstacles.

It's good to discuss how to improve safety gear, and what rule changes (re: concussion protocols) can be made to help keep athletes as safe as possible.

Likes russ_watters

I think this video explains the assumed cause of the cardiac arrest.

Likes russ_watters
russ_watters said:
While basically true as stated, that's misleading. Padding doesn't eliminate but does substantially reduce impact forces (acceleration).
Which part is misleading specifically? I never said eliminate, I said reduce certain types of injury.
I will qualify a little bit.
Being tackled by a 6 ft 200lb guy at speed is going to hurt, pads or no pads.
Mouth guard will protect your teeth and head gear will protect your jaw ears, eyes to some extent but the jolt to your brain can cause damage.
The guardian article on boxing claims 99% damage to the brain in a boxing career is during sparing not in matches. So that is with head gear.

I played football for one year in high school as a lineman. I also participated in other sports. The one thing I recall from that was how physically tiring it is to be hit repeatedly in practice; not painful, the pads fix that (mostly), not tired from running or lifting weights, that was also true, but different. Repeated collisions take a toll even in one long practice session. That isn't something I experienced in other sports. Yes, you can be hit by a baseball, but that doesn't happen over and over again. The energy is absorbed by the players, one way or another.

Last edited:
Likes pinball1970
Also, sorry to rain on the news media parade here, but there are millions of cardiac arrests that don't happen on TV. OK, I do feel sorry for this guy, but I also feel sorry for all of the others. This is a common, leading, cause of death, and one (albeit high profile) event is relatively insignificant, except to people that know him. I don't know him, and neither do y'all (probably). Nothing to see here that didn't also happen yesterday in your own town, move along now.

• Sad
Likes russ_watters and pinball1970
pinball1970 said:
Which part is misleading specifically? I never said eliminate, I said reduce certain types of injury.
This:
... [pads] do not protect your organs.
Pads do protect your organs.

Likes pinball1970
DaveE said:
Also, sorry to rain on the news media parade here, but there are millions of cardiac arrests that don't happen on TV. OK, I do feel sorry for this guy, but I also feel sorry for all of the others. This is a common, leading, cause of death, and one (albeit high profile) event is relatively insignificant, except to people that know him. I don't know him, and neither do y'all (probably). Nothing to see here that didn't also happen yesterday in your own town, move along now.
Pretty much everything you say is true, but awareness is a good thing. People should know where their business's AED is, get CPR certified, etc.

That said, there are parts of this case that are rare. While cardiac arrests happen about a thousand times a day in the US alone, the vast majority are in the older population. Of those in the younger population, most are due to epilepsy. I'm having trouble finding stats, but for young, otherwise healthy people it is probably single digits per year. These are the deaths people don't know are possible. Except when it happens to someone you know or on national TV. I'm not sure it's ever happened on national TV before and the closest I remember was Hank Gathers, who was not healthy and improperly treated (not taking his heart meds/getting reduced dosages):
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hank_Gathers

Baluncore said:
Boxers wear gloves so they can hit harder without breaking the bones in their hands. Not to protect the person they are hitting.

An article I read yesterday commented that some people think it was due to commotio cordis - worth googling on that.

The blow appears to be a shoulder impact on his chest, and the commotio cordis occurs when the impact is at just the wrong place and time in the heart beat cycle. The video above (Lightninginajar's post) and the commentary from the doctor match what I read elsewhere.

Last edited:

1. What is the purpose of football padding?

The purpose of football padding is to protect players from impact and force during the game. It helps to absorb and distribute the force of hits, reducing the risk of injury.

2. How much padding is needed for football players?

The appropriate amount of padding for football players depends on various factors such as position, player size, and personal preference. Generally, players in high-impact positions like linemen and linebackers require more padding than those in skill positions like wide receivers and quarterbacks.

3. Can too much padding be harmful?

Yes, too much padding can be harmful as it can restrict movement and agility, making players more prone to injuries. It is important to find a balance between enough padding for protection and not too much to hinder performance.

4. How often should football padding be replaced?

Football padding should be replaced regularly, especially if it becomes worn out or damaged. It is recommended to replace padding at least once a season, or more frequently if needed.

5. Is there a standard for football padding?

Yes, there are standards for football padding set by organizations like the National Operating Committee on Standards for Athletic Equipment (NOCSAE). These standards ensure that football padding meets safety requirements and provides adequate protection for players.