Football Pattern Vectors Question

• Thread starter vane12
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vectors
Bx = 13 cos(38 deg) = 10.24In summary, the conversation discusses a football player running a specific pattern with different leg lengths and an angle between two of the legs. The conversation also includes a question about finding the x and y components of the football player's displacement during the pattern. The expert summarizer also includes a picture to clarify the situation and potential errors in calculations. The correct x component is 31.336 and the correct y component is -17.16.
vane12
In a practice, a football players runs the pattern shown above. Leg A is 3.0 meters long, leg B is 13.0 meters long and leg C is 23.0 meters long. The angle φ between legs B and C is 38.0°. (Legs A and B are perpendicular.)

1.)What is x component of her displacement? (Assume the x direction to be horizontal on that drawing above.)
(A+B+C)x =
2.)What is y component of her displacement? (Assume the y direction to be vertical on that drawing above.)
(A+B+C)y =

For to find the x and y component I did the following:

Ax=3cos0°=3
Bx=13cos38°=10.24
Cx=23cos(-38°)=18.12

Ay=3sin90°=3
By=13sin38°=8.00
Cy=23sin(-38°)=-14.16

(A+B+C)x=31.336 which I got correct but for (A+B+C)y=-3.16 which I didn't get correct and I don't know what I did wrong??

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.
I'm a bit confused how leg A and B are perpendicular but there is only a 38 deg angle difference between the two. For Ay you have 3sin90 but for Ax you have 3cos0?
Seems that your Ay is incorrect since you got part 1.
In the future illustrations go a long way.

Here is a picture.

Attachments

• football pattern.gif
    football pattern.gif
    2.5 KB · Views: 672
By = 0

I would first clarify the question and make sure I understand what is being asked. It seems like the question is asking for the x and y components of the player's displacement, but the given information only includes the lengths of the legs and the angle between two of the legs. It is not clear what the player's starting point or direction of motion is.

Assuming that the player starts at the origin of the coordinate system and moves in the direction of the x-axis, then the x component of her displacement would be the sum of the x components of each leg. This can be calculated as follows:

(A+B+C)x = Ax + Bx + Cx

= 3 + 10.24 + 18.12

= 31.36 meters

Similarly, the y component of her displacement would be the sum of the y components of each leg. This can be calculated as follows:

(A+B+C)y = Ay + By + Cy

= 3 + 8.00 - 14.16

= -3.16 meters

Since the given information does not specify the direction of motion, it is possible that the player's displacement in the y direction could be negative, depending on the direction of motion. If the player is moving in the negative y direction, then the y component of her displacement would be positive in this calculation. It is important to clarify the direction of motion in order to accurately calculate the components of displacement.

In addition, as a scientist, I would also consider the accuracy and precision of the given measurements. Are the lengths of the legs and the angle between them measured accurately? Are there any uncertainties or errors in the measurements that could affect the calculated components of displacement? These are important factors to consider when analyzing data and making conclusions in scientific research.

Related to Football Pattern Vectors Question

1. What are football pattern vectors?

Football pattern vectors are mathematical representations of the design and layout of a football field. They are used in computer graphics and design to create accurate and realistic depictions of football fields.

2. How are football pattern vectors created?

Football pattern vectors are created using mathematical equations and algorithms that take into account the dimensions of a football field, including the placement of yard lines, hash marks, and end zones.

3. What is the purpose of using football pattern vectors?

The purpose of using football pattern vectors is to create accurate and realistic depictions of football fields for various purposes, such as designing sports gear, creating virtual simulations, and producing graphics for broadcasting and advertising.

4. Are football pattern vectors used in other sports?

While football pattern vectors are primarily used for football fields, they can also be adapted for use in other sports that use similar field layouts, such as rugby, soccer, and lacrosse.

5. Can football pattern vectors be modified or customized?

Yes, football pattern vectors can be modified and customized to fit specific needs or preferences. For example, different color schemes can be applied or specific features, such as logos or sponsor advertisements, can be added.