For any b in R, prove lim(b/n) = 0

• Thread starter Hodgey8806
  • Start date
Thanks for the help!In summary, the proof shows that for any b in ℝ, the limit of b/n as n approaches infinity is equal to 0. This is proved using the limit of a sequence and choosing a value for K that satisfies the condition for n. The proof is simplified by using only one absolute value for b and solving for n.
Hodgey8806

Homework Statement

For any b in ℝ, prove lim(b/n)=0

Homework Equations

I'm going to use the limit of a sequence involving any ε>0 for this.

The Attempt at a Solution

Let b be in ℝ
Let ε>0, the 1/ε>0
Let K be in N s.t. K>1/ε
If n≥K, n≥1/ε
This implies |b/n - 0| = |b|*|1/n - 0| = |b|*|1/n| < |b|*ε. Since ε>0 is arbitray, we can conclude the lim(b/n) = 0 for any b in ℝ.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not so sure you picked your big K correctly.

I think what you are trying to prove is

[itex]\displaystyle\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \frac{b}{n} = 0[/itex]

So, by definition,

[itex]\forall_{\epsilon > 0} \exists_{N \in \mathbb{N}}[/itex] such that for [itex]n \geq N, \quad |\frac{b}{n} - 0| < \epsilon[/itex]

Solve for n in [itex]|\frac{b}{n} - 0| < \epsilon[/itex] and retry your proof!

Thank you for your help. I was wrongly thinking I had to use cases due to b being negative. But how about this:

Here is some scratch first:

|b/n - 0| = |b/n| < ε So choose K>|b/ε|.

Let ε>0.
For all n≥K, |b/n - 0|=|b/n|<|b/(b/ε)|<ε.
Since ε>0 is arbitrary, lim(b/n) = 0 for all b in R.

How is that?

You're almost there! A few things though:

[itex]|\frac{b}{n}| < ε[/itex] So choose [itex]K>|\frac{b}{ε}|.[/itex]

You should simplify your use of absolute values as much as possible so it doesn't make a mess. We know [itex]n > 0[/itex] since [itex]n \geq K \in \mathbb{N}[/itex]. So you can drop that absolute value sign and solve for n. Likewise, we assume [itex]\epsilon > 0[/itex], so there is no need for epsilon to be in absolute value.

The only variable, in this problem, that needs to be in absolute value is b. Can you try modifying it now? It's almost correct, but you skip a bunch of steps and I'm not sure if you know exactly what you are solving and substituting.

I'm basing this method a bit off of what my teacher used to write a "nice flowing proof" for more specific proofs. I'm trying to find the extra fat to cut off. I can understand that for every ε>0 we want to show the absolute value of |b/n - 0| < ε for all n ≥ K

Sorry about skipping steps. I'll show you the scratch work that I left out.

Scratch work is this part:

|b/n - 0| = |b/n| = |b|/n < ε (I didn't do this third equality on the last problem because I just didn't really think about being explicit with n and ε > 0 . So if we solve for it, we will choose our K = |b|/ε. Thus for every n≥K, |b/n - 0| < ε.

So for my proof I was using our class example and a substitution as:

"The nice flowing proof"
Let ε>0, choose K in N s.t. K>|b|/ε
Then for all n≥K, |b/n - 0| = |b|/n ≤|b|/K < |b|/(|b|/ε) = ε
Thus, lim(b/n) = 0 for all b in R. q.e.d

This is from the substitution of |b|/ε for K.

I see how this cleans it up a bit with the absolute value symbols!

I'm sorry about not using the n-> infinity. The lim(b/n) is the convention my book chooses to use.

I like it, the proof looks good! It seems picky, but if you better at writing neater proofs, it will help you in the long run when you don't have nice simple equations like this. Someone else will have to verify (I'm just an undergrad math major) but I see nothing wrong with that proof, nice work!

Only thing I might change is not setting [itex]K = \frac{|b|}{\epsilon}[/itex] but instead letting [itex]K > \frac{|b|}{\epsilon}[/itex]. This is because you let [itex]n \geq K[/itex] which allows for the possibility of [itex]n = K[/itex].

Everything else looks perfect though!

Thank you very much!

I believe this is correct :) I'm in undergrad analysis. Have you finished that already?

I meant to write > as well--just didn't when typing it up. I would have written that part correctly on paper.

Yeah, I finished that course 2 or years ago. I'm just finishing up this last semester and I have my B.S. Unfortunately that was one of my first proof classes and I didn't do as well as I had hoped to do. I was better when Analysis II rolled around.

1. What does the statement "lim(b/n) = 0" mean?

The statement "lim(b/n) = 0" means that as the value of n increases without bound, the value of b/n approaches 0. In other words, the limit of b/n as n approaches infinity is equal to 0.

2. Why is it important to prove that lim(b/n) = 0?

Proving that lim(b/n) = 0 is important because it helps us understand the behavior of a function as its input approaches infinity. It also allows us to make predictions and calculations about the function's behavior in this limit.

3. How do you prove that lim(b/n) = 0?

To prove that lim(b/n) = 0, we must show that for any positive real number ε, there exists a positive integer N such that for all values of n greater than N, the absolute value of b/n is less than ε. This can be done using the epsilon-delta definition of a limit.

4. What does "b in R" mean in the statement "For any b in R, prove lim(b/n) = 0"?

The notation "b in R" means that b is a real number. In other words, b can take on any value on the real number line. This statement is saying that the limit of b/n as n approaches infinity is equal to 0 for any real number b.

5. Can you provide an example of a function where lim(b/n) = 0?

One example of a function where lim(b/n) = 0 is f(x) = 1/n, where b is any real number. As n approaches infinity, 1/n approaches 0, so the limit is equal to 0. This can be verified using the epsilon-delta definition of a limit.