For M a 4-mfld., every class in H_2(M;Z) can be represented by a Surface.

In summary: Are you referring to 2 dimensional homology classes only?2-dimensional homology classes only.2-dimensional homology classes only.
Bacle
Hi, I am trying to show that for M a 4-manifold,

and [a]_2 a class in H_2(M,Z) , there is always

a surface that represents [a]_2 , i.e., there

exists a surface S , and an embedding i of S into

M , with [ioS]_2 =[a]_2.

(Equiv.: there exists S, and an embedding i of S of M , so that a triangulation of S

induces the class [a]_2)

** What I have **

If M is simply-connected, so that Pi_1(M)=0

(Notation: Pi_1:=Fund. Grp.)

Then, by the Hurewicz Theorem (Hip, Hip Hurewicz!)

Pi_2(M) is actually Isomorphic to H_2(M;Z) , so that

every class in H_2(M;Z) can be represented as an

embedded sphere S^2 (possibly with self-intersections,

which can be smoothed away ).

**BUT** I can't think of what can be done if

M is not simply-connected.

Any Ideas.?

Physics news on Phys.org
Why can you smooth self-intersections? If I'm not wrong, this is precisely the reason why h-cobordism fails in 4 dimensions.

Here's an idea that works if your manifold has no two-torsion (also covers the simply connected case). Take a class, and take the poincare dual. Then identify the poincare dual with a line bundle whose generic section intersects the zero section in an embedded surface homologous to what you started with.

how do you know that the map of the 2 sphere has no critical points?

Maps from the two-sphere into a four-dimensional manifold are generically immersions, but not embeddings. There's no way to ensure that a given map from the two-sphere can be perturbed to be an embedding.

zhentil said:
Maps from the two-sphere into a four-dimensional manifold are generically immersions, but not embeddings. There's no way to ensure that a given map from the two-sphere can be perturbed to be an embedding.

I can construct ugly maps of the 2 sphere into R^4 that are not immersions. Are you saying that any such map is smoothly homotopic to an immersion?

lavinia said:
I can construct ugly maps of the 2 sphere into R^4 that are not immersions. Are you saying that any such map is smoothly homotopic to an immersion?
Yes.

zhentil said:
Yes.

How does the proof go?

It's standard transversality theory. I guess a good reference is Hirsch.

lavinia said:
But I guess in this case, you don't need any fancy stuff ;)

In your case, I would even go so far as to say that your ugly map is homotopic to the standard embedding of S^2 into R^4.

zhentil said:
But I guess in this case, you don't need any fancy stuff ;)

In your case, I would even go so far as to say that your ugly map is homotopic to the standard embedding of S^2 into R^4.

what is a non-fancy proof?

That R^4 is contractible :)

zhentil said:
That R^4 is contractible :)

right. So actually any homology class can be represented by an immersed sphere.

I wonder what sort of equivalence classes of immersed manifolds you get if you require the homotopies to be immersions for each time. So immersed M is equivalent to immersed N if they can be moved into each other through a 1 parameter family of immersions.

Well again, in the case of R^4, there's not too much homology to worry about.

The second question is quite interesting. You might want to look into isotopy, which is the relevant idea in the case of embeddings. I'm not sure how much work has been done in terms of using isotopies to study homology. I can tell you this: if you go up to dimension six, you can guarantee that two-homology can be represented by embedded surfaces, and two homotopic embeddings are homotopic through immersions. If you go to dimension seven or higher, it would be through embeddings.

zhentil said:
Well again, in the case of R^4, there's not too much homology to worry about.

The second question is quite interesting. You might want to look into isotopy, which is the relevant idea in the case of embeddings. I'm not sure how much work has been done in terms of using isotopies to study homology. I can tell you this: if you go up to dimension six, you can guarantee that two-homology can be represented by embedded surfaces, and two homotopic embeddings are homotopic through immersions. If you go to dimension seven or higher, it would be through embeddings.

these seem like wonderful theorems. reference or can you explain them? Are you referring to 2 dimensional homology classes only?

1. What does the statement "For M a 4-mfld., every class in H_2(M;Z) can be represented by a Surface" mean?

This means that for any 4-dimensional manifold M, any element in the second homology group of M with integer coefficients can be represented by a surface embedded in M.

2. What is a 4-dimensional manifold?

A 4-dimensional manifold is a topological space that is locally homeomorphic to Euclidean space of dimension 4. In other words, it is a space that is locally similar to a 4-dimensional space, but may have a different global structure.

3. What is the significance of the statement "every class in H_2(M;Z) can be represented by a Surface"?

This statement is significant because it shows that every class in the second homology group of a 4-dimensional manifold can be represented by a surface, which is a simpler and more tangible object. This allows for easier understanding and computation of the homology group.

4. What is the second homology group of a manifold?

The second homology group of a manifold is a mathematical structure that captures the information about the 2-dimensional holes in the manifold. It is a fundamental tool in algebraic topology that allows for the study of the shape and structure of a space.

5. How is this statement useful in scientific research?

This statement is useful in scientific research as it provides a powerful tool for studying the topology of 4-dimensional manifolds. By understanding how surfaces can represent elements in the homology group, researchers can better understand the structure and properties of these higher-dimensional spaces.