For what values of a are these vectors linearly dependent?

In summary, the vectors v1=[1,2,-1], v2=[0,1,3], and v3=[a,4,5] are linearly dependent when a=1. This can be determined by solving the system of equations s1v1+s2v2=v3, where s1=a, 2s1+s2=4, and -s1+3s2=5. There is only one solution for a, as the two planes defined by the vectors intersect at only one point.
1question

Homework Statement

For what value(s) of a are the following vectors v1=[1,2,-1], v2=[0,1,3], and v3=[a,4,5] linearly dependent?

Homework Equations

Since linear dependence means that anyone of the vectors can be expressed as a linear combination of the other vectors:
sv1v1+s2v2=v3

where s1and s2 are some coefficients.

The Attempt at a Solution

Looking at the vectors, I tried v1+2v2=v3

Solving, I get a=1

I'm fairly certain I did the question correctly. The only thing that really bothers me is the plural of "value" in the question - is there ever a case where there can be more than one solution? How can I tell and solve those cases?

Physics news on Phys.org
The vectors [a,4,5] define a plane. So do [1,2,-1] and [0,1,3]. The linearly dependent cases are the intersections of these two planes.

It is the only solution, but instead of trial and error, you can find the solution(s) by solving the equation valid for the components of the vectors.

ehild

clamtrox said:
The vectors [a,4,5] define a plane. So do [1,2,-1] and [0,1,3]. The linearly dependent cases are the intersections of these two planes.

Doesn't that imply that anyone of the vectors can be expressed as a linear combination of the other vectors? Basically equate the two planes and solve (which I did)?

ehild said:
It is the only solution, but instead of trial and error, you can find the solution(s) by solving the equation valid for the components of the vectors.

ehild

Could you elaborate, please? What equation?

I did Gaussian Elimination and wound up with a free variable. How am I supposed to solve for a specific case other than to plug in random values (which is essentially what I did in the first place with far less work)? How does it help me determine all of the possible solutions in other cases?

s1v1+s2v2=v3. That means three equations for the x,y,z components

s1=a
2s1+s2=4
-s1+3s2=5.

Three equations with three unknowns. No free parameters.

ehild

1question said:
Doesn't that imply that anyone of the vectors can be expressed as a linear combination of the other vectors? Basically equate the two planes and solve (which I did)?

Yes. Two planes intersect either on only one line, or everywhere.

ehild said:
s1v1+s2v2=v3. That means three equations for the x,y,z components

s1=a
2s1+s2=4
-s1+3s2=5.

Three equations with three unknowns. No free parameters.

ehild

Ah. Just solve the matrix/system of equations for a.

Thank you.

1. What does it mean for vectors to be linearly dependent?

When a set of vectors is linearly dependent, it means that one or more of the vectors can be expressed as a linear combination of the other vectors in the set. In other words, one or more vectors in the set are redundant and can be removed without changing the span or direction of the set.

2. How can I determine if a set of vectors is linearly dependent?

To determine if a set of vectors is linearly dependent, you can use one of two methods: row reduction or the determinant method. In row reduction, you reduce the vectors to row-echelon form and look for any rows of zeros. In the determinant method, you calculate the determinant of the matrix formed by the set of vectors. If the determinant is equal to zero, the vectors are linearly dependent.

3. What is the importance of knowing if vectors are linearly dependent?

Knowing if vectors are linearly dependent is important because it allows us to understand the relationships between the vectors and determine if they can be used to represent a particular space or problem. If the vectors are linearly dependent, they may not be able to provide a unique solution to a problem, whereas linearly independent vectors can.

4. Can a set of three or more vectors be linearly dependent?

Yes, a set of three or more vectors can be linearly dependent. The number of vectors does not determine if they are linearly dependent or not. It is possible for a set of two vectors to be linearly dependent, just as it is possible for a set of three or more vectors to be linearly independent.

5. How can I make a set of linearly dependent vectors linearly independent?

To make a set of linearly dependent vectors linearly independent, you can remove any redundant vectors from the set. This can be done through row reduction or by manually inspecting the vectors and removing any that can be expressed as a linear combination of the others. Alternatively, you can add new vectors to the set that are linearly independent with the existing vectors, thus increasing the dimension of the space they span.