1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

For which a is the mtrix nonsingular

1. Feb 1, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    For which a [tex]\in[/tex] C is the 3x3 matrix:

[tex]\[\left[ \begin{matrix}
    a & 2 & 0 \\
    0 & -1 & 2 \\
    1 & 0 & a \\
    \end{matrix} \right]\]
    [/tex]
    nonsingular ?

2. Relevant equations
    Ax = 0

3. The attempt at a solution
    Well, the problem is that I think I know what to do, but I can't remember how it's done :S
    If Ax = 0, then it's nonsingular, so that's all I have to show.
    And then I multiply the matrix with x ([x1, x2, x3]) I just get the same matrix as I have above, but with zeros in the fourth column.
    So if I put in on REF I get that x1 = -a, x2 = a2/2.
    And then what ? In my head in seems so easy, but I just can't figure it out :S
    What is the a's that's satisfy that the matrix is nonsingular ?
    If I use RREF on AB = BA = I, I get that a [tex]\neq[/tex] (+-)2. But I can only do that if I have assumed that the matrix, A, is nonsingular, which I have not shown yet.
    So, what to do ? :)

Regards

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 1, 2010 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

That's not the definition of nonsingularity. The equation above is true for x = 0 for any square matrix. If the matrix is nonsingular, the equation will be true only for x = 0.

Another approach that I think you have forgotten, is that the determinant of a nonsingular (AKA invertible) matix is nonzero. Try taking the determinant and see what value(s) a needs to be so that the matrix is nonsingular.

4. Feb 2, 2010 #3
    Hmmm, but I think I'm not allowed to use determinants yet. We haven't "learned" it yet, so...

5. Feb 2, 2010 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Well, then, go back to your first idea but keep Mark44's caution in mind: for what values of a does
    [tex] \begin{bmatrix} a & 2 & 0 \\ 0 & -1 & 2 \\ 1 & 0 & a \end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix}x \\ y \\ z\end{bmatrix}= \begin{bmatrix}ax+ 2y \\ -y+ 2z \\x+ az\end{bmatrix}= \begin{bmatrix}0 \\ 0 \\ 0 \\\end{bmatrix}[/tex]
    for x, y, and z NOT all 0?

6. Feb 2, 2010 #5
    Well, if I'm allowed to just solve the equations but substituting some of the equations into some of the others, I get that: a = 2 or a = -2.

7. Feb 2, 2010 #6

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Yes, those are correct. And you can check these by substituting into your original matrix to show that Ax = 0.

8. Feb 2, 2010 #7
    Ok, great, thank you :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook