For (x,y) in R2, describe the set of orbits geometrically.

  • Thread starter Thread starter Edellaine
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Orbits Set
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
Edellaine
Messages
11
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


4a) If x, y are in R, prove that (R, +) acts on R2 by (x,y)*r = (x+r, y) for all (x,y) in R2 and for all r in R.
b) If (x,y) are in R2, find the orbit of (x,y). Describe geometrically.


Homework Equations


none that I can think of


The Attempt at a Solution



The group action part is easy. I have problems with (b). Am I supposed to just give the definition of the set (I don't think so).

The set of orbits, geometrically, seems to be the set of all points (x,y) in R2.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The question is to describe single orbits geometrically (1,1) and (2,1) are in the same orbit, right? (1,2) isn't in the same orbit as the other two. Describe the difference geometrically.