Force acting on object of given coordinates

In summary, the magnitude of the net force acting on a 3.0 kg object moving in a plane with given x and y coordinates can be found by differentiating the velocity and acceleration functions, and then using F=ma, resulting in a force of 34.98 N at any given time.
Simply Is

Homework Statement

3.0 kg object is moving in plane with x and y coordinates given by x=5t^2-1 and y=3t^2-2 where x and y are meters and t is seconds. Find magnitued of net force acting on object at t=2 seconds.

Homework Equations

(vectors above the letters where they normally go)
F=ma
a = ax + ay

The Attempt at a Solution

Taking the 2 equations, and differentiating to get the velocities functions, then again to get the acceleration functions I get (the i and j are "hats"):

Vx = 10t i and ax = 10 i
Vy = 6t i and ay = 6 j

a = ax + ay and magnitude a = sqrt (ax^2 + ay^2) = sqrt (10^2 + 6^2) = sqrt (136) = 11.66 m/s^2

Then inserting into F=ma:

F = (3.0 kg)(11.66 m/s^2)
F = 34.98 N

And I can just ignore the "2 seconds" because the same constant force is acting? Or do I need to multiply that force by 2?

Thank you for any guidance.

Physics news on Phys.org
what you have looks to be correct.

I would like to commend you on your thorough and accurate approach to solving this problem. Your use of differentiation to find the velocity and acceleration functions is correct, and your calculation of the magnitude of the net force is also correct.

To answer your question, you do not need to multiply the force by 2. The force is a constant value and does not change over time, so the force acting on the object at t=2 seconds is the same as the force acting on the object at any other time. The "2 seconds" is just the time at which you are calculating the force, but it does not affect the value of the force itself.

Keep up the good work and always remember to double check your calculations and units!

1. What is force acting on an object of given coordinates?

The force acting on an object of given coordinates is the external influence that causes the object to accelerate, change direction, or deform. It is a vector quantity and is measured in units of Newtons (N).

2. How is force calculated on an object of given coordinates?

The force acting on an object of given coordinates can be calculated using the formula F = ma, where F is the force in Newtons, m is the mass of the object in kilograms, and a is the acceleration in meters per second squared. This is known as Newton's Second Law of Motion.

3. What factors affect the force acting on an object of given coordinates?

The force acting on an object of given coordinates is affected by the mass of the object, the acceleration of the object, and the direction of the force. Other factors such as friction, air resistance, and gravity may also impact the force acting on the object.

4. How does the direction of force affect an object of given coordinates?

The direction of force is important in determining the motion of an object. If the force is applied in the same direction as the object's velocity, it will increase the speed of the object. If the force is applied in the opposite direction, it will decrease the speed of the object. If the force is applied perpendicularly to the object's motion, it will cause the object to change direction.

5. Why is it important to consider the coordinates of an object when measuring force?

The coordinates of an object are important because they determine the position and orientation of the object in space. This information is necessary in order to accurately calculate the force acting on the object and predict its motion. Additionally, the coordinates of an object may also be affected by the force acting on it, making them crucial in understanding the overall dynamics of the system.