Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Force and potential energy of a particle

1. Dec 19, 2006 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A conservative force F(x) = bx + a acts on a 2.61 kg particle, where x is in meters, b = 6.3 N/m, and a = 4 N. Calculate the change in potential energy of the particle as it moves along the x-axis from x1 = .749 m to x2 = 4.81 m.

2. Relevant equations

work-energy theorem, PE = mgh

3. The attempt at a solution

My first thought was simply 0, since it was going along the x-axis and therefore no change in PEg and no springs or such, but that was wrong. I solved that the work done by the force = 87.3556 J. I also solved initial kinetic energy if the final speed was 16.8 m/s, which was 280.9676. KEi + W = KEf. Where does the potential fall in?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 19, 2006 #2

radou

Homework Helper

For a conservative force, what is the relation between the force and its potential?

4. Dec 19, 2006 #3
    I remember doing potential energy diagrams...and force is the negative derivative of one. So potential is the integral of force? That's what I did to determine the total work done, though.

5. Dec 19, 2006 #4

radou

Homework Helper

Right, that's all you have to do. Find the potential and calculate the change.

6. Dec 19, 2006 #5
    So it is the same as the work done?

7. Dec 19, 2006 #6

radou

Homework Helper

Yes, it is.

8. Dec 19, 2006 #7
    Ack, but negative. Got it now.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook