1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Force around a horizontal circle

1. Sep 18, 2006 #1
    A curve in a road forms part of a horizontal circle. As a car goes around it at constant speed 13.3 m/s, the total force on the car (due to friction with the road) has magnitude 127 N. If the driver would have been driving 16.8 m/s, what would the force have been instead?

∑F= mac = m* v^2/r This is the original equation I thought of using until I realized that I don't have r or m. When the problem mentions the total force as being 127N I assumed that was ∑F. Acceleration would be zero since speed is constant but that's not necessarily the same thing centripetal acceleration is it?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 18, 2006 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

That's the right equation. Since r & m don't change, perhaps you don't need to know them. :wink: (Think ratios.)

Correct.
    Acceleration means a change in velocity, which can be a change in speed or direction. (Velocity is a vector.) When something moves in a circle at constant speed it is most definitely accelerating! It's direction is continually changing: it is being centripetally accelerated. ("Centripetal" just means towards the center--in order for something to go in a circle a force must pull it towards the center. In this problem, friction provides the centripetal force.)

4. Sep 18, 2006 #3
    127N/13.3m/s = x/ 16.8m/s? x= 160.4 N

5. Sep 19, 2006 #4

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Careful: The force is proportional to the velocity squared.

6. Sep 19, 2006 #5
    Thanks for pointing that out. I appreciate it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?