Force between two long parallel conductors

In summary, the conversation discusses the direction of magnetic fields and forces acting on current-carrying conductors, using Fleming's left hand rule and the right hand rule. The direction of the field is determined by pointing the index finger in the direction of the field, while the current direction is determined by the middle finger. The direction of the force is determined by the thumb, and it is noted that the forces between two conductors are equal and opposite due to Newton's third law.
logearav

Homework Statement

revered members,
in the attachment given by me, B1 acts perpendicular to the plane of paper and inwards and B2 acts perpendicular to the plane of paper and outwards.
1)my assumption is due to magnetic lorentz force they are acting perpendicular . but why B1 acts inwards and B2 acts outwards.
2) also, it has been mentioned by fleming's left hand rule, F acts towards left, that is F due to current carrying conductor AB and by the same rule F acts towards right, that is F due to current carrying conductor CD.
according to fleming's left hand rule thumb will represent the direction of force, forefinger represents direction of magnetic field and middle finger represent the direction of current. but when i point my forefinger in the direction of current on AB my thumb points towards the left of AB. then how force due to AB point towards the right of AB. but it works fine when i do the same thing to the conductor CD when i point the forefinger in the direction of current.
my physics sir told that it is due to Newton's third law AB's force points towards CD and CD's force points towards AB. but how fleming's left hand rule applied here. please help

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• IMG.jpg
    IMG.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 620
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello logearav,

logearav said:
in the attachment given by me, B1 acts perpendicular to the plane of paper and inwards and B2 acts perpendicular to the plane of paper and outwards.
1)my assumption is due to magnetic lorentz force they are acting perpendicular . but why B1 acts inwards and B2 acts outwards.

You can use the right hand rule for this. Put your right hand thumb in the direction of the current, and your fingers curl around in the direction of the field. http://www.websmileys.com/sm/fingers/fing04.gif

A couple things to note on the figure. B1 is shown "attached" to the CD wire (I2), but keep in mind that B1 is caused by the AB wire (I1). similarly, B2 is caused by I2, even though the vector is attached to I1 wire in the figure.
http://www.websmileys.com/sm/fingers/fing10.gif

2) also, it has been mentioned by fleming's left hand rule, F acts towards left, that is F due to current carrying conductor AB and by the same rule F acts towards right, that is F due to current carrying conductor CD.
according to fleming's left hand rule thumb will represent the direction of force, forefinger represents direction of magnetic field and middle finger represent the direction of current. but when i point my forefinger in the direction of current on AB my thumb points towards the left of AB. then how force due to AB point towards the right of AB. but it works fine when i do the same thing to the conductor CD when i point the forefinger in the direction of current.
my physics sir told that it is due to Newton's third law AB's force points towards CD and CD's force points towards AB. but how fleming's left hand rule applied here. please help

I don't think you're using the left hand rule properly. Point your index finger in the direction of the field, not the current. You middle finger points in the direction of the current. http://www.websmileys.com/sm/fingers/fing32.gif

Last edited:
thanks a lot sir. excellent explanation.

What is the force between two long parallel conductors?

The force between two long parallel conductors is the electrostatic force of attraction or repulsion between the two conductors due to the flow of electric current through them.

How is the force between two long parallel conductors calculated?

The force between two long parallel conductors can be calculated using the formula F = (μ0 * I1 * I2 * L) / (2π * d), where μ0 is the permeability of free space, I1 and I2 are the currents in the two conductors, L is the length of the conductors, and d is the distance between them.

What factors affect the force between two long parallel conductors?

The force between two long parallel conductors is affected by the distance between the conductors, the strength of the electric current flowing through them, and the permeability of the surrounding medium.

Can the force between two long parallel conductors be attractive?

Yes, the force between two long parallel conductors can be either attractive or repulsive, depending on the direction of the electric current flowing through them.

How does the force between two long parallel conductors relate to electromagnetic induction?

The force between two long parallel conductors is a result of electromagnetic induction, which is the creation of an electric current in one conductor due to the changing magnetic field produced by the other conductor.