1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Force between two current carrying wires

1. Dec 2, 2015 #1
    image.jpeg

I've learnt how to know the direction of force on a current carrying conductor when placed in a magnetic field.( Fleming's left hand rule)

Is there a similar rule to calculate the force in this case? Or should the force be 0 since the wires are perpendicular to each other?

In general, how to calculate force between two current carrying wires?

Looking forward to some guidance.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 2, 2015 #2
    I think the force on PQ is "down" the page. Using right hand rule.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2015
  4. Dec 2, 2015 #3

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Hi Shivansh,

Please remember to use the formatting template for posts in the homework areas.

You can use a right hand rule to establish the field direction due to the XY current at locations along PQ. Then imagine a current carrier (a positive charge) moving in PQ according to the current in that wire. Use a right hand rule to determine the force direction that the moving charge would feel.

Re-drawing the setup so that the current ##I## in XY is flowing into the page, the field lines form circular paths around it:

Fig1.png
    As you can see, a positive current carrier (moving charge) in current ##i## along PQ will feel a force as determined by the right hand rule. The force on a given charge will vary with the strength of the field (distance from the current ##I##).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted