Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Force distribution on a K-Truss

1. Jan 19, 2008 #1
    Im working on a design for a physics project where I have to build a bridge to span a length of about 50 cm. I've looked at some different truss designs and I've decided that I want to do a K truss- I've read that it distributes force more evenly when loaded from the center (which is where mine will be loaded from), however, I haven't been able to find any type of force diagrams detailing exactly which members will be undergoing compression or tension. Does anyone know of any software or diagrams which can show me where the force distribution on the bridge would be if loaded from the top center?

By the way, sorry if this is in the wrong section of the forum

Last edited: Jan 19, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 19, 2008 #2
    Johns Hopkins has a Bridge Designer page (sorry, don't know the URL) that will give you exactly what you need.

4. Jan 22, 2008 #3

Pyrrhus

Homework Helper

You could always do a drawing of the truss with the desired dimensions and the location of the load, and do the calculations yourself. If not, there are applicatiosn such as Risas which can help you calculate it.

5. Jan 24, 2008 #4
    I'm not sure what you are building the bridge out of but you should check out www.twigjig.com.

The site has jigs that you use to make trusses out of toothpicks. You are able to make several different truss patterns. Very cool stuff

6. Apr 11, 2011 #5
    heyy dude good goin with the selection for K-Truss since if u consider a SSB(Simply Supported Beam) for the bridge span Because at mid-span there occurs maximum bending moment. if considered W is the weight acting at mid span so B-M is (WL/4) where L is ur Span of the bridge which is 50 cm so selecting a K-truss helps you to offer more resistance at mid-span so as making your bridge sustainable and increasing ur load carrying capacity.
    Any more Query send me ur Questions to raul_o_conner@yahoo.com

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?