Force exerted on a seat on rollercoaster

In summary: How did you get that velocity? since v=(2gh)^0.5, you get v=32.833 m/s. Also, what's the mass of the roller-coaster?Looks like it's 60 kg, from the OP's calc..which was left out of the problem statement.
annamae

Homework Statement

We have a general rollercoaster design- a hill and a perfect circle loop,
the hill is 55m high and the loop has a radius of 20m. What is the force exerted on the passenger seat at the very top of the loop?
a. 300
b. 500
c. 750
d. 1000
e. 0

Homework Equations

ac=v2/r
Fnet=Fg+Fn+Fp+Ff

The Attempt at a Solution

I found centripetal acceleration to be 15 m/s2
The velocity is 17.32 m/s
Fnet= 60(9.8)+60(15)
But my final answer is 1500N which isn't one of the above choices
So what am i doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
How did you get that velocity? since v=(2gh)^0.5, you get v=32.833 m/s. Also, what's the mass of the roller-coaster?

zush said:
How did you get that velocity? since v=(2gh)^0.5, you get v=32.833 m/s.
No, use conservation of energy between the top of the hill and the top of the loop to find v
Also, what's the mass of the roller-coaster?
Looks like it's 60 kg, from the OP's calc..which was left out of the problem statement.

annamae said:

Homework Statement

We have a general rollercoaster design- a hill and a perfect circle loop,
the hill is 55m high and the loop has a radius of 20m. What is the force exerted on the passenger seat at the very top of the loop?
a. 300
b. 500
c. 750
d. 1000
e. 0

Homework Equations

ac=v2/r
Fnet=Fg+Fn+Fp+Ff

The Attempt at a Solution

I found centripetal acceleration to be 15 m/s2
Yes, how did you arrive at this?
The velocity is 17.32 m/s
yes,how did you arrive at this?
Fnet= 60(9.8)+60(15)
No, Fnet = Fg + Fn, you have written Fnet = Fg + ma
But my final answer is 1500N which isn't one of the above choices
So what am i doing wrong?
Fnet = Fg + Fn = mv2/r, solve for Fn, which is what the problem is asking.

What is the force exerted on a seat on a rollercoaster?

The force exerted on a seat on a rollercoaster is a combination of gravitational force and centripetal force. Gravitational force is the downward pull of gravity on the rider's body, while centripetal force is the inward pull towards the center of the circular track. Together, these forces create the sensation of being pushed into your seat.

How does the force exerted on a seat change during a rollercoaster ride?

The force exerted on a seat changes constantly during a rollercoaster ride. As the ride goes up and down steep inclines and curves, the direction and magnitude of the force changes. For example, when going down a steep drop, the force will be primarily gravitational, while going through a loop, the force will be mostly centripetal.

What factors affect the force exerted on a seat on a rollercoaster?

The force exerted on a seat on a rollercoaster is affected by several factors, including the speed of the ride, the steepness of the track, and the rider's position and weight. The type of rollercoaster also plays a role, as some designs are meant to create more intense forces than others.

Is the force exerted on a seat on a rollercoaster dangerous?

The force exerted on a seat on a rollercoaster is carefully designed to ensure the safety of riders. While it may feel intense or even scary, the forces exerted are within a safe range and are constantly monitored by engineers and ride operators. However, it is important for riders to follow all safety guidelines and regulations to ensure a safe and enjoyable experience.

How does the force exerted on a seat on a rollercoaster relate to the overall ride experience?

The force exerted on a seat on a rollercoaster is a key factor in creating an exciting and thrilling ride experience. The varying forces and sensations, such as weightlessness, acceleration, and sharp turns, add to the overall excitement and enjoyment of the ride. Engineers carefully design the forces to create a balance between safety and thrills for riders.