1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Force given velocity and mass?

1. Mar 17, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The figure shows the velocity graph of a 75kg passenger in an elevator.

What is the passenger's apparent weight at t= 1 s ?
    What is the passenger's apparent weight at t= 5 s ?
    What is the passenger's apparent weight at t= 9 s ?

2. Relevant equations

F = ma

3. The attempt at a solution

I was thinking since the acceleartion at 1s is 4m/s
    The answer for 1s is 300N?

5s, since acceleration is 0, it would be: 0?

Anyways, my answers ended up not being accepted. So i know I am definitely doing something wrong. Any ideas?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 17, 2009 #2

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

We don't see your velocity-teme graph; you first have to determine the correct acceleration, not velocity, at each time interval. Then when you apply Newton's laws, you must first look at all forces acting on the person before using F_net = ma. The 'apparent weight' is the Normal force acting on the person.

4. Mar 17, 2009 #3
    Heres the picture

Attached Files:

• 1.JPG
      1.JPG
      File size:
      7.1 KB
      Views:
  5. Mar 17, 2009 #4
    I was basing the acceleration on the rate of change that was occuring.

6. Mar 17, 2009 #5

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

It's accelerating because of the increase in speed, this is true, but what about gravity?

7. Mar 17, 2009 #6
    First let me just say, when you are standing in an elevator, before it begins to move, do you weigh zero?

Think about that for a second, I'm not sure why you would have submitted that but I admit I've had my share of braindead moments myself so I can't be pointing any fingers. Hehehe.

For apparent weight I usually add the acceleration that the system is undergoing TO gravity itself which you must remember (and apparently did not =p ) never goes away.

So yea, think about it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook