Force in a potential field V(x,y,z)

In summary, the conversation revolves around finding the force in the x-direction on a particle in a potential field and the relationship between force and potential. The problem also asks for the momentum 10s later. The concept of conservative force fields and their representation in terms of a scalar potential is discussed. The conversation ends with a suggestion to look into vector calculus for a better understanding.
amb123
I have a problem that asks for force in the x-direction on a particle in a potential field given by some function V(x,y,z). The problem asks what the force in the x direction is if the particle starts resting at (1,2,3). I tried reviewing magnetism but found F = B x v where F and v are vectors representative of force and velocity respectively. However, am I to assume some velocity? If the problem is stated as previous am I to assume that it is at rest and that there would be no force if the velocity were zero? In a problem such as this do you assume the particle in question is charged?

I don't want to ask the specifics and give the function because I don't want is solved, but I just wan't to know where my thought processes are misleading me.
The problem also asks for the momentum 10s later, but since I'm having trouble relating force to potential field, I haven't started that part at all.

Thanks for any insight.
-A

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know that if a force field is conservative, it can be written in terms of a scalar function called the potential? (To be precise as the gradient of a scalar function)

Mathematically,

[itex]\vec{F} = -\nabla V[/itex]

In Cartesian space, this is equivalent to the three scalar equations

[tex]F_{k} = -\frac{\partial V}{\partial x_{k}}[/tex]

for k = 1, 2, 3

If you know the potential field, you know the force. If you know the force, you can probably do what you wanted to do.

If you are interested in the theory behind the very first equation of this post, then you might want to look up a text on vector calculus. (This: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gradient may be useful too).

Thanks! I will look into that, I remember gradients from a long time back, I was never terribly great with math and now it is all rusty.

Much appreciated,
-A

1. What is a potential field?

A potential field is a mathematical concept used in physics to describe how forces act on objects. It is defined as a scalar field, meaning it has a numerical value at every point in space.

2. How is a potential field related to force?

In a potential field, the force acting on an object is directly related to the gradient of the potential function. This means that the direction of the force is always pointing towards the steepest increase in potential energy.

3. What factors influence the strength of a potential field?

The strength of a potential field is influenced by the magnitude and distance of the source of the field. In other words, the closer an object is to the source of the field, the stronger the potential field will be.

4. What is the difference between a conservative and non-conservative potential field?

A conservative potential field is one in which the work done by the force on an object moving from one point to another is independent of the path taken. In contrast, a non-conservative potential field is one in which the work done is dependent on the path taken.

5. How is potential energy related to potential field?

Potential energy is the energy an object possesses by virtue of its position or configuration in a potential field. The higher the potential energy, the greater the potential field, and vice versa.