Force in members of truss; section method

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving calculating moments and forces in a truss structure. The original calculation around point E is questioned and another helper suggests calculating around point G instead. The final result for FFH and FFG are found to be under tension and the book's answers are deemed incorrect. It is also clarified that forces on the other side of the section are not taken into account in the section method.
togo

Homework Statement

295eq8w.jpg

Homework Equations

torque = force x distance

The Attempt at a Solution

35mihxs.jpg

words: hopefully this one is clearer than the last one and someone can follow what I did and figure out where I went wrong. Thanks.

Answer is Ffg=5kn T, Ffh = 20 kn T (only these two members are being questioned)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
About what point are you calculating the moments when solving for FH? Your scan is kind of fuzzy.

By the way, I don't get answers that match what you say they're supposed to be.

Also, you might get more responses if you post this type of problem in the engineering section.

I see. I calculated for the moment around E. (also double checked the answer in back of book and 5 and 20 are what it says)

Last edited:
You left out the moment due to GH.

Try calculating the moments about G instead of E.

that sounds like 2 equations with 2 unknowns, I'll work it

Me = -28.8 = 1.8FH - 2.4GH

= -16 = FH - 1.333GH

So two unknowns there in calculating for Me. For Mg:

Mg = -(1.8m)(Fh) + (2.4m)(10kN)
= -1.8FH + 24
FH = 13

of course not knowing whether to assume tension or compression, in any case the Mg I calculated is obviously wrong

togo said:
Mg = -(1.8m)(Fh) + (2.4m)(10kN)
= -1.8FH + 24
FH = 13

of course not knowing whether to assume tension or compression, in any case the Mg I calculated is obviously wrong
Why is it obviously wrong (other than you didn't specify the units)?

Ffh = 20kN (tension) according to the back of the book... (Ffh = Force FH)

This is a straightforward problem, so I'm certain the book is wrong. I'll see what the other helpers say.

an additional question; when using section method you aren't supposed to take into account forces operating on the other side of the section except for the initial calculation of forces holding up the entire truss?

Right. You start by looking at the structure as a whole to find the external reactions, but once you look at a section, you're only interested in the forces acting on that section.

Another helper got the same results I found. Your result of FFH=13 kN is correct, though the member is under tension, and you should find FFG=3.3 kN, also under tension. The book's answers are wrong.

Last edited:
I just wanted to say thanks I'm getting fairly good at these questions now.

1. What is the section method for analyzing forces in members of a truss?

The section method is a technique used to determine the internal forces (tension or compression) in each member of a truss. It involves making a cut through the truss at a specific joint and analyzing the equilibrium of the resulting section.

2. How do you choose the section to cut in the section method?

The section to cut is typically chosen at a joint where the number of unknown forces is equal to the number of available equilibrium equations. This will result in a system of equations that can be solved to determine the forces in each member.

3. Can the section method be used for any type of truss?

Yes, the section method can be used for any type of truss, including simple trusses, compound trusses, and complex trusses. However, the number of sections and equations needed may vary depending on the complexity of the truss.

4. What are the assumptions made in the section method?

The section method assumes that the truss is in a state of static equilibrium, meaning that the sum of all forces acting on the truss is equal to zero. It also assumes that all members of the truss are connected by frictionless pins or hinges and that the weight of the truss is negligible.

5. Are there any limitations to the section method?

The section method may not be accurate if the truss is subject to dynamic loading or if there are deformations in the truss members. It also assumes that the joints of the truss are rigid and do not rotate, which may not be the case in certain situations. In these cases, other methods such as the method of joints or method of sections may be more suitable for analyzing forces in truss members.