Help understanding how to determine Compress or Tension in Truss

What do you get for member CD?In summary, the conversation discusses a question on a past exam about determining tension and compression in a small square truss. The asker usually uses the method of joints but has trouble understanding how to solve the problem quickly. They ask for advice and the respondent suggests starting at the free end and working towards the wall, determining that members DE and EF are in compression and tension respectively. The conversation ends with the asker expressing gratitude for the help.
NoobeAtPhysics

Homework Statement

A small square truss shown is supported by a pin joint at I and a roller at A. Label all members of the
truss by Z (for zero force member), C (for compression) or T (for tension).

33mo31k.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So this was an exam question on a past test and I have troubles understanding how to calculate this in a fast manner.

I usually just use method of joints for each member and determine it that way. But I don't know how to determine tension/compression by looking at a truss. I've asked a couple people but I never understand what they mean...

What is your guy's approach/thought process when solving this problem?

My next exam is coming soon and I really hope to get a better understanding of this!

Thank you very much.

Physics news on Phys.org
Start at the free end, point E, where the 100 N force is applied. What do you get for members DE and EF?

DE is compression and therefore EF is in tension

Good. Now work back towards the wall.

I understand your concerns and will provide guidance on how to determine compression or tension in a truss. First, let's define what compression and tension mean in this context. Compression is a force that pushes or squeezes a member of the truss, while tension is a force that pulls or stretches a member.

To determine whether a member is experiencing compression or tension, you can use the method of sections or the method of joints. For the method of sections, you would cut the truss into sections and analyze the forces acting on each section. If the forces are directed towards the cut section, then the member is in compression. If the forces are directed away from the cut section, the member is in tension.

For the method of joints, you would analyze the forces at each joint of the truss. If the forces acting on a joint are pushing away from the joint, then the member connected to that joint is in tension. If the forces are pulling towards the joint, then the member is in compression.

Another helpful approach is to visualize the truss as a series of triangles. In a triangle, the longest side will experience the most tension, while the shortest side will experience the most compression. This can help you quickly identify which members are in tension or compression.

In summary, to determine compression or tension in a truss, you can use the method of sections or joints, and also consider the length and orientation of the truss members. With practice and understanding of these concepts, you will be able to quickly determine the forces acting on each member of a truss. Good luck on your exam!

1. What is a truss?

A truss is a structural system composed of interconnected elements, usually in the form of triangles, used to support loads. It is commonly used in bridges, roofs, and towers.

2. What is the difference between compression and tension in a truss?

Compression refers to the force that pushes or squeezes a material, while tension refers to the force that pulls or stretches it. In a truss, compression forces act on the elements that are being pushed together, while tension forces act on the elements that are being pulled apart.

3. How do you determine if a truss is in compression or tension?

To determine if a truss is in compression or tension, you need to analyze the forces acting on each element. If the forces are pushing or compressing an element, it is in compression. If the forces are pulling or stretching an element, it is in tension.

4. What factors affect whether a truss is in compression or tension?

The loads placed on the truss, the geometry and design of the truss, and the materials used all affect whether a truss is in compression or tension. A truss is typically designed to have more elements in tension than compression to minimize the risk of failure.

5. How does understanding compression and tension in a truss impact its structural stability?

Understanding compression and tension in a truss is crucial for ensuring its structural stability. If the forces are not properly balanced, the truss may fail due to buckling or collapsing. Properly determining and distributing compression and tension forces is essential for a safe and stable truss structure.