1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help understanding how to determine Compress or Tension in Truss

1. Nov 28, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A small square truss shown is supported by a pin joint at I and a roller at A. Label all members of the
    truss by Z (for zero force member), C (for compression) or T (for tension).

33mo31k.png

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

So this was an exam question on a past test and I have troubles understanding how to calculate this in a fast manner.

I usually just use method of joints for each member and determine it that way. But I don't know how to determine tension/compression by looking at a truss. I've asked a couple people but I never understand what they mean...

What is your guy's approach/thought process when solving this problem?

My next exam is coming soon and I really hope to get a better understanding of this!!

Thank you very much.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 28, 2013 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Start at the free end, point E, where the 100 N force is applied. What do you get for members DE and EF?

4. Nov 28, 2013 #3
    DE is compression and therfore EF is in tension

5. Nov 28, 2013 #4

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Good. Now work back towards the wall.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted