Force of a wire induced by earth magnetic field

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 5K views
R2D2
Messages
8
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


The power cable for an electric trolley (see figure) carries a horizontal current of 330 A toward the east. The Earth's magnetic field has a strength 5.0 ✕ 10-5 T and makes an angle of dip of24° at this location. Calculate the magnitude and direction of the magnetic force on a 20 m length of this cable.
27-p-075.gif

Homework Equations



F=BILsinΘ

The Attempt at a Solution



I thought the question means there B and I form a 24° angle, so I tried F= 5.0 x 10^-5 x 20 x 330 x sin 24°. However, it seems that the answer is F=BILsin90, and the direction of the magnetic force is 66 above the horizontal towards the north. How can a magnetic force not perpendicular to the plane of B and I? I am really confused. Please help me here, thanks!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello.

Note that the current is toward the east.

How is this direction related to the direction of B?
 
Last edited:
Thanks for your reply!

This is where I got confused.
So the current is toward east, and the direction of B is towards the northeast, and the angle is 24. So B and I form a angle of 66. - That's how I interpret the angle of dip. Is this wrong?
 
The B field is not northeast. The B field has a vertically downward component and a horizontal component (parallel to the ground). The horizontal component is toward the north. Looking at the picture, you are facing north as the current flows east. The B field has a horizontal component into the picture and also a vertical component from the top of the picture toward the bottom of the picture.