1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Force of a wire induced by earth magnetic field

Tags:
  1. Mar 1, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The power cable for an electric trolley (see figure) carries a horizontal current of 330 A toward the east. The Earth's magnetic field has a strength 5.0 ✕ 10-5 T and makes an angle of dip of24° at this location. Calculate the magnitude and direction of the magnetic force on a 20 m length of this cable.
    27-p-075.gif
    2. Relevant equations

F=BILsinΘ

3. The attempt at a solution

I thought the question means there B and I form a 24° angle, so I tried F= 5.0 x 10^-5 x 20 x 330 x sin 24°. However, it seems that the answer is F=BILsin90, and the direction of the magnetic force is 66 above the horizontal towards the north. How can a magnetic force not perpendicular to the plane of B and I? I am really confused. Please help me here, thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 1, 2016 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hello.

Note that the current is toward the east.

How is this direction related to the direction of B?

Last edited: Mar 1, 2016
  4. Mar 1, 2016 #3
    Thanks for your reply!

This is where I got confused.
    So the current is toward east, and the direction of B is towards the northeast, and the angle is 24. So B and I form a angle of 66. - That's how I interpret the angle of dip. Is this wrong?

5. Mar 1, 2016 #4

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The B field is not northeast. The B field has a vertically downward component and a horizontal component (parallel to the ground). The horizontal component is toward the north. Looking at the picture, you are facing north as the current flows east. The B field has a horizontal component into the picture and also a vertical component from the top of the picture toward the bottom of the picture.

6. Mar 1, 2016 #5
    Got it! Thank you so much.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted