Force of water flowing through a pipe?

In summary, the conversation discusses the installation of an immersion heater in a water tower standpipe to prevent freezing in the winter. However, the high flow rate during draining poses a risk of shearing the probe. The speaker seeks assistance in determining the force applied to the probe while draining at full flow, given its dimensions and placement. A potential solution is suggested, with an estimated total drag force of 340 lbs. on the probe, leading to the suggestion of an alternative placement.
steves1080
I was considering installing an immersion heater inside a vertical standpipe of a water tower (4-ft internal dia) in order to aid in freeze protection for winter. However, during full flow the tower drains at a flow rate of about 4,000 gal/sec! I want to make sure that there are sufficient drain cycles on the probe without there being a huge risk of it shearing... How can I easily/quickly determine how much force is being applied to the probe (mounted horizontally inside the pipe) while draining at full flow? The probe is steel, 28-in long, and 1-in in diameter.

Any help would be great!

Thanks,
Mike

Engineering news on Phys.org
steves1080 said:
I was considering installing an immersion heater inside a vertical standpipe of a water tower (4-ft internal dia) in order to aid in freeze protection for winter. However, during full flow the tower drains at a flow rate of about 4,000 gal/sec! I want to make sure that there are sufficient drain cycles on the probe without there being a huge risk of it shearing... How can I easily/quickly determine how much force is being applied to the probe (mounted horizontally inside the pipe) while draining at full flow? The probe is steel, 28-in long, and 1-in in diameter.

Any help would be great!

Thanks,
Mike

Figure out the velocity of the water flow during draining given the ID of the pipe and the flow rate.

Estimate the total force on the probe using this velocity and a Cd of 1.0 for the cylinder in cross flow.

When all is said and done, I estimate a total drag force of about 340 lbs. on your probe at full drainage flow, which it probably won't be able to withstand. I would investigate an alternate placement of the probe (perhaps aligned with the flow).

1. What is the force of water flowing through a pipe?

The force of water flowing through a pipe is the pressure that is exerted by the water on the walls of the pipe. This force is influenced by factors such as the volume of water, the diameter of the pipe, and the velocity of the water.

2. How is the force of water flowing through a pipe calculated?

The force of water flowing through a pipe can be calculated using the equation F = A x P, where F is the force, A is the cross-sectional area of the pipe, and P is the pressure of the water.

3. What affects the force of water flowing through a pipe?

The force of water flowing through a pipe is affected by several factors such as the volume of water, the diameter of the pipe, the velocity of the water, and the viscosity of the water. Additionally, any obstacles or changes in direction in the pipe can also affect the force.

4. How does the velocity of water affect the force in a pipe?

The velocity of water has a direct impact on the force in a pipe. As the velocity increases, the force exerted by the water also increases. This is because the faster the water is moving, the more energy it has, resulting in a greater force on the walls of the pipe.

5. How is the force of water flowing through a pipe important in practical applications?

The force of water flowing through a pipe is important in various practical applications such as plumbing, irrigation, and hydropower. Understanding the force allows for the proper design and maintenance of pipes to ensure efficient and safe water flow. It is also a key factor in calculating the amount of pressure needed to move water through a system.