1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Force on a current currying wire in a magnetic field

1. May 18, 2018 at 8:49 AM #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    This is a multi choice question from last years aqa a level. We know a positive reading is produced on the scales indicating something is pushing down on the scales.
    Please see the picture.
    stuck.jpg

2. Relevant equations
    We know current direction, not B field.

3. The attempt at a solution
    The positive reading on the scales suggests that the force on the wire is vertically down. Mark scheme says vertically up. We think newton III is needed but not sure how it works.

Can anyone help explain why i is vertically up.

2. jcsd
  3. May 18, 2018 at 8:59 AM #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Is the wire attached to the scales?

4. May 18, 2018 at 9:00 AM #3
    nope. = the wire is not attached to the scales, though it is clamped at points D and E.

5. May 18, 2018 at 9:11 AM #4

Doc Al

Exactly. The yoke is what is attached to the scales. So rethink things with that in mind.

6. May 18, 2018 at 9:19 AM #5
    so the yoke is pushed down. Which means the wire is pushing it down. So there must be a downward force on the wire...

7. May 18, 2018 at 9:25 AM #6

Doc Al

Yes.

Yes.

No. Consider Newton's 3rd law.

8. May 18, 2018 at 12:52 PM #7
    well I think you are getting me to say that if the wire is pushing the yoke down then the yoke is pushing it up..... but that doesn't make sense to me because I cant see how the interplay between the current and the mag field works. Suppose I then took away the clamps that are holding the wire DE in place and changed nothing else. The wire would move upwards - yes?

9. May 18, 2018 at 1:05 PM #8

Doc Al

Sure. Newton's 3rd law in action. If A pushes B up, then B must push A down.

Yes.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted