• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Force Problem, Fuzzy Dice hanging from a rearview mirror

• Thread starter cmsoccer21
  • Start date

Homework Statement

Heres the problem, Ive done these kind of problems before but it has been about a year for me since Ive done one and I can't seem to remember how to anymore:
A pair of “fuzzy dice” hangs from a string attached to the rear view mirror of a race car moving with constant acceleration. Find the acceleration if the string makes a 70° angle with the vertical.

Homework Equations

F=MA

The Attempt at a Solution

I am not sure where to start other than I drew a triangle with a 70 degree angle. If someone could just please give me a place to start off from, I would really appreciate it. Thanks!

Answers and Replies

Hootenanny
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Heres the problem, Ive done these kind of problems before but it has been about a year for me since Ive done one and I can't seem to remember how to anymore:
A pair of “fuzzy dice” hangs from a string attached to the rear view mirror of a race car moving with constant acceleration. Find the acceleration if the string makes a 70° angle with the vertical.

Homework Equations

F=MA

The Attempt at a Solution

I am not sure where to start other than I drew a triangle with a 70 degree angle. If someone could just please give me a place to start off from, I would really appreciate it. Thanks!
A free-body diagram would a good place to start. Identify all the forces acting on the dice, what can you say about these forces?