Force Required to move a 63.5 kg mass.

• Thread starter cloakblade5
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force Mass
In summary, the conversation is about determining the smallest possible mass needed to move a 63.5 kg mass. To find this, the force, time, and velocity of the unknown mass must be known. The equations F=ma, I=Fav\Deltat=\Deltap, and p=mv are mentioned as possible ways to calculate this information. However, the person is unsure how to proceed without more information and mentions that the question may be related to an experiment they were assigned.
cloakblade5

Homework Statement

What is the smallest possible mass needed to move a 63.5 kg mass? To find this, I need to know the force need to move the known mass, time the unknown mass stays in contact with the known mass, and velocity at which the unknown mass is traveling. I believe I can find out the rest of this information if I know the average force required to move a 63.5 kg mass.

Homework Equations

F = ma, I = Fav[tex]\Delta[/tex]t = [tex]\Delta[/tex]p, p = mv

The Attempt at a Solution

What I have done so far...nothing really. I need this information to move forward, and I don't know of a way to calculate it with the information available.

Physics news on Phys.org
Whats the rest of the question?
From what you have you can't really get anywhere

I'm not sure if there is a rest of the question. We were just assigned to perform an experiment. We decided on seeing how little a mass we need to move a person who is 63.5 kg and I've been trying to use physics to develop a supported hypothesis before we started. That is all the information I could think of.

1. What is the formula for calculating force required to move a 63.5 kg mass?

The formula for calculating force required to move a 63.5 kg mass is F = m x a, where F is the force in Newtons, m is the mass in kilograms, and a is the acceleration in meters per second squared.

2. How do you determine the acceleration needed to move a 63.5 kg mass?

To determine the acceleration needed to move a 63.5 kg mass, you can use the formula a = F/m, where a is the acceleration in meters per second squared, F is the force in Newtons, and m is the mass in kilograms.

3. What is the unit of measurement for the force required to move a 63.5 kg mass?

The unit of measurement for the force required to move a 63.5 kg mass is Newtons (N).

4. How does the surface affect the force required to move a 63.5 kg mass?

The surface can affect the force required to move a 63.5 kg mass by providing either more or less friction. More friction would require a greater force to overcome, while less friction would require less force.

5. Can the force required to move a 63.5 kg mass vary?

Yes, the force required to move a 63.5 kg mass can vary depending on factors such as the surface it is moving on, the presence of friction, and the amount of force applied. It can also vary if the mass is being moved horizontally or vertically, as the force needed to move it against gravity would be greater.