1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Force Required to move a 63.5 kg mass.

1. Mar 10, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    What is the smallest possible mass needed to move a 63.5 kg mass? To find this, I need to know the force need to move the known mass, time the unknown mass stays in contact with the known mass, and velocity at which the unknown mass is traveling. I believe I can find out the rest of this information if I know the average force required to move a 63.5 kg mass.

2. Relevant equations
    F = ma, I = Fav[tex]\Delta[/tex]t = [tex]\Delta[/tex]p, p = mv

3. The attempt at a solution
    What I have done so far....nothing really. I need this information to move forward, and I don't know of a way to calculate it with the information available.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 10, 2009 #2

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Whats the rest of the question?
    From what you have you can't really get anywhere

4. Mar 10, 2009 #3
    I'm not sure if there is a rest of the question. We were just assigned to perform an experiment. We decided on seeing how little a mass we need to move a person who is 63.5 kg and I've been trying to use physics to develop a supported hypothesis before we started. That is all the information I could think of.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook