1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Force to move a bar in a magnetic field

1. Apr 15, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I made this image to illustrate:
    r26d5g.jpg

A rod with resistance R lies across frictionless conducting rails in a constant uniform magnetic field B. Assume the rails have negligible resistance. The magnitude of the force that must be applied by a person to pull the rod to the right at a constant speed v is:

2. Relevant equations
    [tex]E = -\frac{d \phi}{dt}[/tex]
    Plus any of maxwells equations et al.

3. The attempt at a solution

From what I figure, as the bar moves to the right, the magnetic flux will be increasing, and so, the current in the loop will produce a field opposing the change. This B field would be coming out of the screen/page, so the current must be going counter clockwise.

Now,
    [tex]
    \Phi = B \dot A\\
    A = Lx\\
    \Phi = BLxcos(\theta)\\
    [/tex]

But theta (angle between area vector and B is 0:

[tex]
    \Phi = BLx
    [/tex]

The velocity of the bar is basically in x per seconds, so I think I can say that basically x is time. That way, I can differentiate the flux as so:

[tex]
    \Phi = BLx\\
    \frac{d\Phi}{dt} = BL\\
    [/tex]

Now, E in the loop will equal negative BL since:
    [tex]E = -\frac{d\Phi}{dt}[/tex]

and so, via Ohms law, the current in the loop is:
    [tex]
    V=IR\\
    I=\frac{V}{R}\\
    I = \frac{-BL}{R}\\
    [/tex]

Then, by the equation of the Lorentz force:
    [tex]
    F_{B} =I(L×B)\\
    F_{B} = ILBsin(\theta)\\
    [/tex]

But theta here is 90 degrees, and sin(90) = 1,

So I think the "opposing" force on the bar due to it moving and increasing the flux through the loop is equal to ILB.

So at least a force of ILB is required to move the bar to the right, and with a force of ILB, the bar will remain still. So now I am lost.

What's the next step? I know the solution but I need to figure this out myself.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 15, 2012 #2
    I forgot this part:

Since:
    [tex]I = \frac{-BL}{R}\\
    [/tex]

and

[tex]F = ILB[/tex]

Then:
    [tex]F = -\frac{B^{2}L^{2}}{R}[/tex]

Which is almost the answer I need, it's definitely the force to the left. So to pull it to the right I need to put that force.

There should be a v in that equation though, and I don't see how.

4. Apr 15, 2012 #3

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

Well you have [itex]\Phi = BLx[/itex] so [itex]\frac{\mathrm{d}\Phi }{\mathrm{d} t} = BL\frac{\mathrm{d} x}{\mathrm{d} t} = Blv[/itex]. So there's your v.

5. Apr 15, 2012 #4
    Ah, I see. Idk what I was thinking with this sentence:

"The velocity of the bar is basically in x per seconds, so I think I can say that basically x is time. That way, I can differentiate the flux as so:"

Thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook