Force to move a bar in a magnetic field

In summary: Basically, x is time, so you can differentiate the flux as so:\Phi = BLx\\\frac{d\Phi}{dt} = BL\\And then, via Ohms law, the current in the loop is:V=IR\\I=\frac{V}{R}\\I = \frac{-BL}{R}\\So to pull it to the right you need to put that force.
QuarkCharmer

Homework Statement

I made this image to illustrate:
r26d5g.jpg

A rod with resistance R lies across frictionless conducting rails in a constant uniform magnetic field B. Assume the rails have negligible resistance. The magnitude of the force that must be applied by a person to pull the rod to the right at a constant speed v is:

Homework Equations

[tex]E = -\frac{d \phi}{dt}[/tex]
Plus any of maxwells equations et al.

The Attempt at a Solution

From what I figure, as the bar moves to the right, the magnetic flux will be increasing, and so, the current in the loop will produce a field opposing the change. This B field would be coming out of the screen/page, so the current must be going counter clockwise.

Now,
[tex]
\Phi = B \dot A\\
A = Lx\\
\Phi = BLxcos(\theta)\\
[/tex]

But theta (angle between area vector and B is 0:

[tex]
\Phi = BLx
[/tex]

The velocity of the bar is basically in x per seconds, so I think I can say that basically x is time. That way, I can differentiate the flux as so:

[tex]
\Phi = BLx\\
\frac{d\Phi}{dt} = BL\\
[/tex]

Now, E in the loop will equal negative BL since:
[tex]E = -\frac{d\Phi}{dt}[/tex]

and so, via Ohms law, the current in the loop is:
[tex]
V=IR\\
I=\frac{V}{R}\\
I = \frac{-BL}{R}\\
[/tex]

Then, by the equation of the Lorentz force:
[tex]
F_{B} =I(L×B)\\
F_{B} = ILBsin(\theta)\\
[/tex]

But theta here is 90 degrees, and sin(90) = 1,

So I think the "opposing" force on the bar due to it moving and increasing the flux through the loop is equal to ILB.

So at least a force of ILB is required to move the bar to the right, and with a force of ILB, the bar will remain still. So now I am lost.

What's the next step? I know the solution but I need to figure this out myself.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I forgot this part:

Since:
[tex]I = \frac{-BL}{R}\\
[/tex]

and

[tex]F = ILB[/tex]

Then:
[tex]F = -\frac{B^{2}L^{2}}{R}[/tex]

Which is almost the answer I need, it's definitely the force to the left. So to pull it to the right I need to put that force.

There should be a v in that equation though, and I don't see how.

Well you have [itex]\Phi = BLx[/itex] so [itex]\frac{\mathrm{d}\Phi }{\mathrm{d} t} = BL\frac{\mathrm{d} x}{\mathrm{d} t} = Blv[/itex]. So there's your v.

WannabeNewton said:
Well you have [itex]\Phi = BLx[/itex] so [itex]\frac{\mathrm{d}\Phi }{\mathrm{d} t} = BL\frac{\mathrm{d} x}{\mathrm{d} t} = Blv[/itex] as per the chain rule. So there's your v.

Ah, I see. Idk what I was thinking with this sentence:

"The velocity of the bar is basically in x per seconds, so I think I can say that basically x is time. That way, I can differentiate the flux as so:"Thanks

I would like to commend you on your attempt at solving this problem using basic principles of electromagnetism. Your reasoning and calculations are mostly correct, but there are a few things that need clarification.

Firstly, the direction of the induced current in the loop will indeed be counter-clockwise, as you correctly stated. This is in accordance with Lenz's law, which states that the induced current will always oppose the change in magnetic flux.

Secondly, your calculation of the induced EMF (E) is correct, but your interpretation of it is not entirely accurate. The induced EMF is not equal to the applied voltage (V), but rather it is equal to the rate of change of magnetic flux through the loop. In this case, the induced EMF is equal to BLv, where v is the velocity of the bar.

Next, your calculation of the current in the loop is also correct, but again, your interpretation is not completely accurate. The current in the loop is not a constant value, but rather it will change as the bar moves due to the changing magnetic flux. So, the correct expression for the current would be I = -BLv/R.

Finally, your calculation of the Lorentz force is also correct, but again, your interpretation needs some clarification. The force on the bar due to the magnetic field is not simply equal to ILB, but rather it is equal to the product of the current and the length of the bar (L). So, the correct expression for the force would be F = -BL^2v/R.

In summary, the force required to move the bar at a constant speed v would be F = -BL^2v/R. This force is needed to overcome the opposing force due to the induced current in the loop, which is also equal to -BL^2v/R. So, the net force on the bar would be zero, and it would continue to move at a constant speed v.

I hope this clarifies any confusion and helps you to better understand the physics behind this problem. Keep up the good work!

1. How does a magnetic field affect the movement of a bar?

The presence of a magnetic field will exert a force on the bar, causing it to move in a particular direction.

2. What determines the strength of the force on the bar in a magnetic field?

The strength of the force is determined by the strength of the magnetic field and the orientation of the bar relative to the field.

3. Can the direction of the force on the bar be changed?

Yes, the direction of the force can be changed by altering the orientation of the bar or by changing the direction of the magnetic field.

4. What is the relationship between the force on the bar and the speed of its movement?

The force on the bar is directly proportional to the speed of its movement. The faster the bar moves, the stronger the force exerted by the magnetic field will be.

5. How do other factors, such as the material or shape of the bar, affect the force in a magnetic field?

The material and shape of the bar can affect the force in a few ways. Some materials may have a stronger magnetic attraction than others, and the shape of the bar can also impact the direction and strength of the force on the bar.