Force to stabilize a door - torque

In summary, the problem involves a 10kg door with two hinges, and the bottom hinge is removed. The question asks for the force needed to stabilize the door by someone exerting it at the halfway point of the door's height on the far side from the hinge. Using the equation for torque, F(36in)=100N(18in), the force needed is calculated to be 50N.
r26h

Homework Statement

A 10kg door is hanging on two hinges-the top hinge is 9in from the top of the door, and the bottom hinge is 9in from the bottom of the door. The width of the door is 36in and the height is 86in.

If the bolt from the bottom hinge is removed, what force would someone have to exert at the door handle (halfway up the height of the door on the far side from the hinge) to stabilize the door?

Homework Equations

Torque= F r sin theta

The Attempt at a Solution

What does it mean by stabilize?
F(36in)=100N(12)
Force=33N? maybe?

What does the problem mean by stabilize? I'm confused

Physics news on Phys.org
r26h said:
What does it mean by stabilize?

Place in a state of equilibrium.

F(36in)=100N(12)

Can you explain what you're doing here and where these numbers are coming from?

Mister T said:
Place in a state of equilibrium.
Can you explain what you're doing here and where these numbers are coming from?

Instead of 12 I think I should be using 18.

So, take the distance from the edge of the door to the handle (36) * F and set it equal to Mg (100N) * (.5*36)
F(36in)=100N(18in)
So then my answer would be 50N.

1. What is torque?

Torque is a measure of the force that can cause an object to rotate about an axis. It is typically measured in units of Newton-meters (Nm) or foot-pounds (ft-lb).

2. How is torque related to force?

Torque is directly proportional to force and the distance from the axis of rotation. This means that increasing the force or the distance from the axis will result in an increase in torque.

3. How is torque used to stabilize a door?

In the context of a door, torque is used to keep the door in a stable, closed position. By applying a force at the handle (a distance from the axis of rotation), torque is created which keeps the door from swinging open.

4. What factors affect the amount of force needed to stabilize a door?

The amount of force needed to stabilize a door depends on several factors including the weight of the door, the distance from the axis of rotation to the point where force is applied, and the type of hinge mechanism used.

5. How can I calculate the required torque to stabilize a door?

The torque required to stabilize a door can be calculated using the formula T = F x d, where T is torque, F is the force applied, and d is the distance from the axis of rotation to the point where force is applied. You can also use a torque wrench to directly measure the torque needed to stabilize a door.