Force vectors: How to determine the directions of their components

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
Robb
Messages
225
Reaction score
8
Thread title changed to reflect problem description

Homework Statement



Replace the force system by an equivalent resultant force and couple moment at point P. Suppose thatF1 = 455 N and F2 = 700 N . (Figure 1)

Hibbeler14.ch4.p97a.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution



I found the solution to the problem. My question is how do I know which direction the components for the force vectors are pointing? I keep messing up the signs for F(x) & F(y). I must have missed something somewhere along the way. Please advise.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Your attempt at a solution is actually your question. That question should be your problem statement, with the given problem set as an example.

What are your relevant equations? How do you determine the components of vectors? How did you solve the problem and where did you run into difficulty with the signs of vector components? Can you show an example?

We need to see what you're doing in order to determine how to advise you.