1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Forces/Newton's Laws of Motion

1. Jan 29, 2009 #1
    This problem really shouldn't be this difficult but for some reason I can't seem to find the answer.

An arrow, starting from rest, leaves the bow with a speed of 26.0 m/s. If the average force exerted on the arrow by the bow were doubled, all else remaining the same, with what speed would the arrow leave the bow?

net force= mass x acceleration

Acceleration is unknown in this question. Velocity (I'm assuming it's the final V?) is known (26.0 m/s). Initial velocity is 0. I know that when force doubles, acceleration doubles. That's about as far as I could get.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 29, 2009 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Good. What quantity remains the same? When they said "all else remaining the same", what could they have been talking about?

4. Jan 29, 2009 #3
    The initial velocity remains the same. But the only other variable that is given is final velocity, which would not stay the same.

5. Jan 29, 2009 #4

Doc Al

Hint: The distance the arrow takes to reach the final speed is the same.

How do distance, acceleration, and speed relate?

6. Jan 29, 2009 #5
    V^2=Vo^2 + 2ax. But what is x? It isn't known.

7. Jan 29, 2009 #6

Doc Al

All you want to do is compare the final speeds. You don't need to know the actual distance. Just call it x.

8. Jan 29, 2009 #7
    But what is the acceleration?

9. Jan 29, 2009 #8

Doc Al

Again, you don't need actual numbers. Call the original acceleration "a". What would be the new acceleration?

10. Jan 29, 2009 #9
    It would be 2a

11. Jan 29, 2009 #10

Doc Al

Good. Now solve for the speeds in terms of "a" and "x" and compare. (You can also use ratios.)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?