Forces & Tension Homework: Tug of War & Moon's Orbit

In summary, in a tug of war, two men pulling with 100 lb forces in opposite directions results in a tension of either 0 or 200 lbs on the rope. For the Moon traveling around the Earth, the forces acting on it are the gravity of the Earth and the sun, which is responsible for keeping it in orbit. There is no additional forward force acting on the Moon as it would cause it to gain speed and alter its orbit.
vivekfan

Homework Statement

1. In a tug of war, two men pull on a rope with 100 lb forces in opposite directions. What is the tension in the rope?

2. The Moon travels around the earth. What are the forces acting on it?

Is it the gravity of the Earth and sun, gravity of Earth and sun + a forward force, or Gravity of Earth and sun + outward force and forward force

Homework Equations

These questions are conceptual, but probably deal with F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

For question 1, I'm not sure if the tensions are additive, meaning that it is 0 because they are in opposite directions or 200. I don't know whether I should add them or would it just be 100. I don't know how to approach it.

For question two, I think that there is only the gravity of the Earth and the sun because I can't think of any other force that would be acting. Please explain reasoning. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
vivekfan said:
For question 1, I'm not sure if the tensions are additive, meaning that it is 0 because they are in opposite directions or 200. I don't know whether I should add them or would it just be 100. I don't know how to approach it.

For question two, I think that there is only the gravity of the Earth and the sun because I can't think of any other force that would be acting. Please explain reasoning. Thanks!

For 1) the man pulling with 100 against another man pulling at 100 is little different that a man pulling with 100 and the rope attached to a post isn't it?

If they added then wouldn't there be acceleration somewhere if there was nothing thereto offset it?

For 2) There of course is gravity from sun and Earth (and anything else in the universe). And what are these forces doing to the moon? Keeping it in orbit about the earth. If there was a forward force then it would be gaining speed. If it did that, what would happen to the obit?

1. In a tug of war, the tension in the rope is the force that is pulling the rope in opposite directions. In this case, the tension would be 100 pounds because the two forces are equal and opposite, canceling each other out. This means that the rope is not moving and the tension is balanced.

2. The forces acting on the moon are the gravitational forces from both the earth and the sun. The moon is in a constant state of free fall towards the earth, due to the gravitational force between them. However, the moon also has a forward motion due to its velocity, which keeps it in a stable orbit around the earth. So, the forces acting on the moon are the gravitational force from the earth and the sun, and the forward force from its velocity. The outward force is not necessary to explain the moon's orbit, as it is already accounted for by its forward motion.

Related to Forces & Tension Homework: Tug of War & Moon's Orbit

1. What is a force?

A force is a push or pull that can cause an object to move, stop, or change direction. It is usually measured in Newtons (N) and is represented by an arrow pointing in the direction of the force.

2. How is tension defined?

Tension is the force that is transmitted through a string, rope, or cable when it is pulled at both ends. It is always directed away from the object causing the force and is equal in magnitude on both ends.

3. How does a tug of war game demonstrate forces and tension?

In a tug of war game, two teams pull on opposite ends of a rope. The team that is able to exert a greater force will cause the rope to move towards their side, demonstrating the concept of unbalanced forces. The tension in the rope also increases as the teams pull harder, showing how forces can affect an object's motion.

4. What role does tension play in the moon's orbit?

The moon's orbit around the Earth is maintained by the gravitational force between the two objects. However, the moon also experiences tension due to the Earth's gravitational pull, which keeps it from flying off into space and causes it to move in a circular path around the Earth.

5. How does tension affect the shape of objects?

Tension can change the shape of an object by causing it to stretch or compress. For example, a rubber band will stretch when pulled due to the tension force acting on it. Similarly, a bridge's cables experience tension, which helps support the weight of the bridge and keep it from collapsing.