1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Forces with angles, Find the acceleration

1. Dec 17, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Two forces act on a 4.00 kg mass which is sitting at rest on a horizontal frictionless surface. One force is 6.50 N directed 55° West of South, the other is 7.00 N directed 25° North of West. What acceleration does the mass receive?

2. Relevant equations

sin = o/h

cos = a/h

tan = o/a

a = F/m

3. The attempt at a solution

I drew forces (not accurately) on paint (attachment) to help me solve this question then did the following calculations:

Fapx1
    sin = o/h sin35° = o/6.5N o = 3.7N

Fapx2
    sin = o/h sin25° = o/7N o = 3N [N]

Fapx = Fapx1 + Fapx2
    Fapx = 3.7N - 3N
    Fapx = 0.7N

Fapy1
    cos = a/h cos35° = a/6.5N a = 5.3N [W]

Fapy2
    cos = a/h cos25° = a/7N a = 6.3N [W]

Fapy = Fapy1 + Fapy2
    Fapy = 5.3N + 6.3N
    Fapy = 11.6N

tan = o/a tan = 11.6/0.7 tan = 86.5°

sin = o/h sin86.5° = 11.6/h h = 11.622N

a = F/m a = 11.622N/4.00kg a = 2.9 m/s^2
    _____________________________________________________________________________
    I was wondering if I did the question right. Did I get the right answer?
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Attached Files:

• 7.jpg
      7.jpg
      File size:
      16.3 KB
      Views:
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 17, 2011 #2

PeterO

Homework Helper

problems:

Firstly, you have not helped yourself with your diagram.

"Your" 55o angle is smaller than your 25o angle, so when you got two x-components of 3N and 3.7N you did not recognise that at least one of them was wrong, as the x-component of the 6.5N force is way less than the x component of the 7N force. The Y components don't llok good either. You seem to have added the y components and subtracted the x ??

Last edited: Dec 18, 2011
  4. Dec 17, 2011 #3
    I said the diagrams are not accurate, I just drew them so it would be visually easier to do the calculations. And I added the y components because they were both going in the same direction (west) and subtracted the x components because they were going opposite directions (south and north).

5. Dec 18, 2011 #4

PeterO

Homework Helper

But your diagram clearly shows the x components both going west, and the y-components going in opposite directions - North and South.

You need to draw a more accurate diagram and stick to the conventions you state on that diagram if you want to get anywhere with this problem.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook