Forcing mathematica or geo sketch to graph EC

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with graphing negative values of curves in mathematica and geometry sketchpad. The solution suggested is to plot two functions, y=(x^3-x)^(1/2) and y=-(x^3-x)^(1/2), in mathematica using the Plot function.
heartless
Hello, I'm trying to experiment with eliptic curves a little, but I have a problem with graphing elliptic curves. For example, neither mathematica nor geometry sketchpad graph negative values of curves. Is there anyway to force mathematica or geo sketchpad to plot also negative values of x?
F. ex, when I try to graph y=(x^3-x)^(1/2) it plots only positive values for function. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, how about doing two functions:y=(x^3-x)^(1/2) and
y=-(x^3-x)^(1/2)?

Mathematica:
[tex]\text{Plot[} ((-\sqrt{x^3 - x}), (\sqrt{x^3 - x})) \text{, (x,-10,10)}][/tex]

Where the brackets '()' are actually '{}'.

Last edited:

1. How do I force Mathematica to graph an EC?

To force Mathematica to graph an EC, you can use the Plot function and specify the equation of the EC as the first argument. For example, if the equation is y = x^3 + 2x + 3, the code would be Plot[x^3 + 2x + 3, {x, -10, 10}]. This will create a graph of the EC within the specified range.

2. Can I graph an EC in GeoGebra?

Yes, you can graph an EC in GeoGebra by using the ImplicitCurve command and entering the equation of the EC. You can also use the Ellipse tool to create an EC with a given center and axes.

3. How do I change the color of the EC graph in Mathematica?

To change the color of the EC graph in Mathematica, you can use the PlotStyle option in the Plot function. For example, Plot[x^2, {x, -5, 5}, PlotStyle -> Red] will create a red graph of the EC y = x^2.

4. Can I label the axes on my EC graph in GeoGebra?

Yes, you can label the axes on your EC graph in GeoGebra by using the Text command and specifying the coordinates and text for the labels. For example, Text[(0,5), "y-axis"] will create a label for the y-axis at the point (0,5).

5. How can I export my EC graph from Mathematica or GeoGebra?

In Mathematica, you can use the Export function to export your EC graph as an image or a vector file. In GeoGebra, you can use the Export Graphics View option under the File menu to save your EC graph as an image file.