Implicit function plot in Mathematica

In summary, the conversation discussed an implicit equation and the attempt to create a plot using Mathematica. The equation was adjusted and a suggestion was made to improve the plot.
freefaller
Hello everyone,

I have an implicit equation:
[tex] -155.034 x^4 ×sin(377 t) = 0.0524166 x^6 × cos^{1.414}(-377t)-(0.0581964+0.0442696 i) x ×cos^4(377 t)+7.09332 cos^5(377 t) [/tex]
I would like to create a plot of this function using Mathematica, but I am not very proficient with this software, and the little I know is just what I could teach myself.

So I tried something like this:

ContourPlot[-155.034 x^4 Sin[
377 t] == (0.139677 x^6 Cos[377 t]^1.414 - (0.0581964 +
0.0442696 I) x Cos[377 t]^4 + 7.09332 Cos[377 t]^5), {t, 0,
2}, {x, -4, 4}]

But with no result. I got a blank plot and sometimes a few errors after i tried again.

How would I be able to get this graph?
Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Assuming x and t are Real, the left hand side of your equality will always be Real, but the right hand side of your equality will be Complex everywhere except when x==0 or t==1/377(Pi/2+2n Pi) or t==1/377(-Pi/2+2n Pi) for Integer n. But when t is anyone of those values then the right hand side is zero and you end up with 155.034x^4==0

With that insight can you think how you might change what you want to do?

You're right, i did the math again through mathematica and i got a slightly different equation:
[tex]-\frac{2436.77 Sin[377 t]}{x^{0.8285} Cos[377 t]^{0.1715}} = 170 x Cos[377 t] + \frac{5.24172 Cos[377 t]^{3.314}}{ x^{3.314}} - \frac{232.031 Cos[377 t]^{4.1425}}{ x^{4.1425}}[/tex]
This is not the result i wanted though. i'll start another thread so that i can make sure my math was correct.

1. What is an implicit function plot in Mathematica?

An implicit function plot in Mathematica is a type of graph that shows the relationship between two variables where one variable is not explicitly expressed in terms of the other. In other words, the function is defined implicitly rather than explicitly. This type of plot is useful for visualizing complex relationships and can provide insight into the behavior of a given function.

2. How do I create an implicit function plot in Mathematica?

To create an implicit function plot in Mathematica, you can use the ContourPlot or ContourPlot3D functions. These functions allow you to specify an implicit equation in terms of x and y (or x, y, and z for 3D plots) and then plot the corresponding curve or surface. You can also adjust various parameters such as the range of values, the color scheme, and the number of plot points to customize your plot.

3. Can I plot multiple implicit functions in one graph?

Yes, you can plot multiple implicit functions in one graph by using the Show function. First, plot each implicit function separately, specifying different styles or colors for each one. Then, use the Show function to combine the plots into one graph. This is useful for comparing multiple functions or visualizing the intersection of two or more functions.

4. How can I label the axes and add a legend to my implicit function plot?

To label the axes and add a legend to your implicit function plot, you can use the PlotLabel and PlotLegends options within the ContourPlot or ContourPlot3D functions. You can specify the labels and legend names as strings, and adjust the position and style of these elements using additional options. This can help make your plot more informative and easy to understand.

5. Is it possible to export an implicit function plot from Mathematica?

Yes, you can export an implicit function plot from Mathematica in various formats such as PNG, JPEG, PDF, or SVG. You can use the Export function and specify the desired file format, along with any additional options such as image size or resolution. This is useful for including your plot in a presentation, document, or publication.