Foreign language translation help please, “have been around”

In summary, the conversation discusses the phrase "have been around" and its two meanings: having a lot of experience and being seen nearby. It is also mentioned that the phrase "I'll be around next week" means the person will be present in the same location next week. There is no implication of monitoring anything.
htam9876
I am a guy whose first language is not English. Sometimes I feel hard to understand what an English word means exactly even resorting to dictionary or machine. So, I start this thread to learn English. Any help will be appreciated.

Liqiang Chen
Sept 18, 2020
………………………………..
Yesterday, I encountered an English term“have been around” in a reply. What does it mean exactly in English? Does it mean "have been wandering in the nearby"?
Anyone can help? Thanks.

Science news on Phys.org
htam9876 said:
Yesterday, I encountered an English term“have been around” in a reply. What does it mean exactly in English? Does it mean "have been wandering in the nearby"?
Welcome to PhysicsForums.

That expression in English usually refers to having a lot of experience. If no other context is given, it probably refers to social situations. If another context is given, it means that they have experience in that other context. Hope that helps.

Likes htam9876 and Lnewqban
I agree w/ Berkeman. It really has two meanings
(1) having a lot of experience. That is, someone who has "been around" a lot of different experiences and learned from them.
"Do you think he knows what he is talking about? Yeah, he's been around."
(2) Has been seen nearby recently.
"Have you see Joe lately? Yeah, he's been around"

• Informative
Likes berkeman, epenguin, htam9876 and 2 others
Can somebody say “I’ll be around next week”? Does it mean he’ll leave temporarily next week and do something elsewhere?

htam9876 said:
Can somebody say “I’ll be around next week”? Does it mean he’ll leave temporarily next week and do something elsewhere?
No, it means "I'll be around HERE next week".

Likes htam9876
Oh, dear, that’s to say it is just the contrary meaning: he will not leave next week (and just will stay HERE to monitor what’s going on)!

Attachments

• 3219876.jpg
    3219876.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 143
htam9876 said:
Oh, dear, that’s to say it is just the contrary meaning: he will not leave next week (and just will stay HERE to monitor what’s going on)!
There is nothing "contrary" about the meaning. To English speakers, it is unambiguous. There is NO implication that he will be around to monitor anything, it's just a simple statement that he will be here.

He may even be here THIS week as well and also the week after next week. The statement doesn't say. It just says that he definitely will be around here next week.

Likes htam9876
@ phinds:
Thank you. piggy got it: it's just a simple statement that he will be here.

1. What does the phrase "have been around" mean?

The phrase "have been around" means to have existed or been present for a significant amount of time.

2. Can you provide a translation for the phrase "have been around" in a foreign language?

Yes, the translation of "have been around" in Spanish is "han estado alrededor", and in French it is "ont été autour".

3. How can I use the phrase "have been around" in a sentence?

You can use the phrase "have been around" in a sentence like this: "I have been around for a long time and have seen many changes."

4. Is "have been around" a common phrase in English?

Yes, "have been around" is a common phrase in English and is often used in everyday conversation.

5. What is the origin of the phrase "have been around"?

The origin of the phrase "have been around" is unclear, but it has been used in English since the 1800s and is believed to have originated from the phrase "have been about".