Forgot some defintions on norms
- Level: Undergrad
- Thread starter Zurtex
- Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
9 replies · 2K views
Physics news on Phys.org
Discussion
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 9,361
- 6
I don't think they are standard.
A gues would be,
|v|_n is the n'th roots of the sum nth powers of the absolute values of the components.If they were function spaces then that would make sense, in integrals. Infinity ought to mean the abs value of the largest component, or the sup norm.
A gues would be,
|v|_n is the n'th roots of the sum nth powers of the absolute values of the components.If they were function spaces then that would make sense, in integrals. Infinity ought to mean the abs value of the largest component, or the sup norm.
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 42,895
- 983
Matt! Of course they are standard.
In a finite dimensional space, [itex]||v||\infty= max |v_i|[/itex], the largest component, in absolute value, of v.
In an infinite dimensional, function space, [itex]||v||_\infnty= max(|v(x)|)[/itex] where the max is over whatever compact set v(x) is defined on.
In a finite dimensional space [itex]||v||_1= \Sigma |v_i|[/itex].
In an infinite dimensional, function space, [itex]||v||_1= \int |v(x)|dx[/itex] where the integral is over the set v(x) is defined on.
In a finite dimensioal space [itex]||v||_2= \sqrt{\Sigma (v_i)^2}[/itex].
in an infinite dimensional, function space, [itex]||v||_2= \sqrt{\int (v(x))^2 dx}[/itex]
In a finite dimensional space, [itex]||v||\infty= max |v_i|[/itex], the largest component, in absolute value, of v.
In an infinite dimensional, function space, [itex]||v||_\infnty= max(|v(x)|)[/itex] where the max is over whatever compact set v(x) is defined on.
In a finite dimensional space [itex]||v||_1= \Sigma |v_i|[/itex].
In an infinite dimensional, function space, [itex]||v||_1= \int |v(x)|dx[/itex] where the integral is over the set v(x) is defined on.
In a finite dimensioal space [itex]||v||_2= \sqrt{\Sigma (v_i)^2}[/itex].
in an infinite dimensional, function space, [itex]||v||_2= \sqrt{\int (v(x))^2 dx}[/itex]
Last edited by a moderator:
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 9,361
- 6
HallsofIvy said:Matt! Of course they are standard.
you live and you learn.
So they are what i said they ought to be.In a finite dimensional space, [itex]||v||\infty= max |v_i|[/itex], the largest component, in absolute value, of v.
In an infinite dimensional, function space, [itex]||v||_\infnty= max(|v(x)|)[/itex] where the max is over whatever compact set v(x) is defined on.
In a finite dimensional space [itex]||v||_1= \sum |v_i|[/itex].
In an infinite dimensional, function space, [itex]||v||_1= \int |v(x)|dx[/itex] where the integral is over the set v(x) is defined on.
In a finite dimensioal space [itex]||v||_2= \sqrt{\sum (v_i)^2}[/itex].
in an infinite dimensional, function space, [itex]||v||_2= \sqrt{\int (v(x))^2 dx}[/itex]
I certainly agree that || ||_n is a standard norm on the space of functions on some space, but that information wasn't given in the post, was it? I personally have never seen || ||_n used on ordinary finite dimensional vector spaces. If the question had said norms on Banach spaces then I'd not've been confused. In anycase, topologically the norms on a finite dimensional vector space are all the same.
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 42,895
- 983
Ah! Matt's point is that you didn't tell us that! The norms are also defined for infinite dimensional spaces. I gave the definitions in that case for function spaces Ln(C) but they might also be given for the "little l" spaces ln (infinite sequences of numbers).
Since I now understand that that was the sense in which Matt meant they were "not standard", I must say that I agree with him.
Since I now understand that that was the sense in which Matt meant they were "not standard", I must say that I agree with him.
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 9,361
- 6
If it's numerical analysis then there was no chance of me knowing the standard nomenclature, and I can stop worrying that something passed me by. (I know there are interpolations, householder rotations and that's about it, pivots too, perhaps.) I can see why they'd want to use different norms now. For instance, lines of best fit on graphs minimize the | |_2 norm, and not the | |_1 norm, so it starts to make sense.
In general the 'n' norms will make me think of functional analytic beasts, which is why I got confused about the references to (what I presumed were finite dimensional) vector spaces.
In general the 'n' norms will make me think of functional analytic beasts, which is why I got confused about the references to (what I presumed were finite dimensional) vector spaces.
- 15,524
- 771
Only one of the [itex]L_n[/itex] norms is particularly conducive to analysis. This is the [itex]L_2[/itex] norm, whose partial derivative derivatives exist and are linear. The [itex]L_2[/itex] norm shines so brightly that analysts are drawn to it like moths to a streetlight.
The [itex]L_2[/itex] norm does not necessarily produce the "best" fit. The [itex]L_1[/itex] norm produces a "better" fit than does the [itex]L_2[/itex] norm for error sources with large outliers because the [itex]L_1[/itex] norm is less sensitive to outliers. In cases where controlling outliers is important, the [itex]L_\infty[/itex] norm produces a "better" fit because this norm is very sensitive to outliers.
By the way, I often am guilty of moth-like behavior. Finding the least-squares fit is easy. Finding some other best fit is much more difficult.
The [itex]L_2[/itex] norm does not necessarily produce the "best" fit. The [itex]L_1[/itex] norm produces a "better" fit than does the [itex]L_2[/itex] norm for error sources with large outliers because the [itex]L_1[/itex] norm is less sensitive to outliers. In cases where controlling outliers is important, the [itex]L_\infty[/itex] norm produces a "better" fit because this norm is very sensitive to outliers.
By the way, I often am guilty of moth-like behavior. Finding the least-squares fit is easy. Finding some other best fit is much more difficult.
Similar threads
- Wolfman29
- · Replies 8 ·
- General Math
- Replies
- 8
- lotrsimp12345
- · Replies 3 ·
- Advanced Physics Homework Help
- Replies
- 3
- Rasalhague
- · Replies 8 ·
- Special and General Relativity
- Replies
- 8