Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Form factored of the polynomial discriminant

1. Aug 26, 2015 #1
    I wrote x² - (a + b)x + (ab) in the wolfram and polynomial discriminant was: a² - 2ab + b². Factoring: (a-b)²

---

So, I wrote x³ - (a+b+c) x² + (bc+ca+ab) x - (abc) and the polynomial discrimant given was: 31321321321321.png Factoring: (b-c)² (c-a)² (a-b)²

---

Now, I wrote x² - 2Ax + B² and the polynomial discriminant is: A² - B². Factoring: (A+B)(A-B)

---

At last, but, no minus important, given this polynomial: x³ - 3 A x² + 3 B² x - C³, which is the factored form of the polynomial discriminant?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 26, 2015 #2

andrewkirk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The formula for the discriminant of a cubic is here. Plug your coefficients in to that and see what happens.

I see no reason to expect that an easy factorisation is available. The three preceding examples you gave are all simple. The first two polynomials are just ##(x-a)(x-b)## and ##(x-a)(x-b)(x-c)## respectively, and the third one is only a quadratic. The fourth, about which you ask, is something else entirely.

4. Aug 27, 2015 #3
    I know how find it! The problem is the factorization...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook