Questions about equation roots

In summary, the theorem that states if a number has a conjugate and is a root of a polynomial, its conjugate must also be a root is false. This was proven by a counterexample of (x + 1 - sqrt(3))(x - 2). However, a corrected version of the theorem is that if a polynomial with real coefficients has a root that is not a real number, then its conjugate is also a root. This can be proven using the concept of automorphisms.
nmego12345
At the beginning of the summer, I was studying a precalculus course, in which I was taught that whenever a polynomial equation has a root in the form a + sqrt(b)c or a + ib, then another root would be its conjugate, I took it for granted for that time and I thought it was intuitive.

Later on, now, summer ended, I have grown much more familiar with mathematics, was revisiting that course and tried to prove that

But I soon discovered that this theory is false
For example we may have

This is a polynomial : (x-2)(x+1-sqrt(3) = 0

While playing around I discovered that this theory works only if the coefficients of the polynomial expression are rational, yeah irrationals doesn't wiorkNothing wrong with it, but I just disproved a theorem written in a good math course, so I wonder was I right or not

Mathematics news on Phys.org
nmego12345 said:
At the beginning of the summer, I was studying a precalculus course, in which I was taught that whenever a polynomial equation has a root in the form a + sqrt(b)c or a + ib, then another root would be its conjugate, I took it for granted for that time and I thought it was intuitive.

Later on, now, summer ended, I have grown much more familiar with mathematics, was revisiting that course and tried to prove that

For example we may have

While playing around I discovered that this theory works only if the coefficients of the polynomial expression are rational, yeah irrationals doesn't wiorkNothing wrong with it, but I just disproved a theorem written in a good math course, so I wonder was I right or not

What you write does not make sense to me. Can you formally list the theorem that you wanted to proof/disproof?

nmego12345 said:

This is false.
Given a polynomial with real coefficients and ##z \in \mathbb{C}\setminus\mathbb{R}## is a root then ##\bar{z}## is a root.

nmego12345 said:

For example we may have

The point is, that you haven't read, memorized, quoted or whatever the theorem carefully enough.

If ##p## is an irreducible polynomial in ##\mathbb{F}[x]##, and ##a## a root of ##p## in a field extension ##\mathbb{G} \supset \mathbb{F}## then ##\sigma(a)## is also a root for all ##\sigma \in Aut_\mathbb{F}(\mathbb{G})##.
The latter is the group of automorphisms of ##\mathbb{G}## that leave elements of ##\mathbb{F}## fixed.

In your example, you have ##\mathbb{F} = \mathbb{Q}## and ##\mathbb{G}=\mathbb{Q}[\sqrt{b}]##, where ##b## is not a square in ##\mathbb{Q}## and ##\sigma(\sqrt{b}) = -\sqrt{b}##. This is an automorphism of ##\mathbb{Q}[\sqrt{b}] ## of order ##2## that leaves ##\mathbb{Q}## fixed and conjugates the extension element ##\sqrt{b}##.

In the other example, you have ##\mathbb{F} = \mathbb{R}## and ## \mathbb{G} = \mathbb{R} [ \sqrt{-1} ] = \mathbb{R} [ i ] = \mathbb{C} ##.
Here ## b=-1 ## is not a square in ##\mathbb{R}## and ##\sigma(\sqrt{b}) = \sigma(\sqrt{-1}) = \sigma(i) =- i ##. This is an automorphism of ##\mathbb{C}## of order ##2## that leaves ##\mathbb{R}## fixed and conjugates in ##\mathbb{C}##.

So your observations have all been correct. Only your memory of the theorem was a bit too sloppy formulated.

Edit: In these cases ##\sigma##, the conjugation, and the identity are the only automorphisms. Therefore the requirement that ##p## is irreducible, i.e. cannot be split into non-trivial factors. Otherwise you could attach any zeros as you want, which makes the overall situation a bit messy.

Last edited:
Math_QED said:
What you write does not make sense to me. Can you formally list the theorem that you wanted to proof/disproof?
If a number a has a conjugate b, and a is a root of the polynomial function f(x) then b must be a root of f(x)
pwsnafu said:
This is false.
Given a polynomial with real coefficients and ##z \in \mathbb{C}\setminus\mathbb{R}## is a root then ##\bar{z}## is a root.

Sure, but I just proven you're wrong, try (x + 1- sqrt(3))(x-2), How can you explain that, furthermore, you've just stated the theorem without any proof, just "you're wrong"

Sorry if i was a little harsh, thanks for taking your time to help
fresh_42 said:
If ##p## is an irreducible polynomial in ##\mathbb{F}[x]##, and ##a## a root of ##p## in a field extension ##\mathbb{G} \supset \mathbb{F}## then ##\sigma(a)## is also a root for all ##\sigma \in Aut_\mathbb{F}(\mathbb{G})##.
The latter is the group of automorphisms of ##\mathbb{G}## that leave elements of ##\mathbb{F}## fixed.
y.
I'm convinced but do you have a proof of that?

Math_QED said:
If a number a has a conjugate b, and a is a root of the polynomial function f(x) then b must be a root of f(x)
pwsnafu said:
This is false.

Sure, but I just proven you're wrong, try (x + 1- sqrt(3))(x-2), How can you explain that, furthermore, you've just stated the theorem without any proof, just "you're wrong"

Sorry if i was a little harsh, thanks for taking your time to help
fresh_42 said:
y.

Math_QED said:
pwsnafu said:
This is false.

Sure, but I just proven you're wrong, try (x + 1- sqrt(3))(x-2), How can you explain that?
fresh_42 said:
y.

nmego12345 said:

The solutions to your polynomial equation would appear to be ##2## and ##-1 + \sqrt{3}##.

Given that these roots are real, then they equal their complex conjugates and thus, trivially, the theorem holds.

Have I misunderstood what you mean?

nmego12345 said:

You haven't proved me wrong at all, I'm saying you are misremembering the theorem you were taught. Notice I quoted the part where you state the theorem, not your analysis of it.

[itex](x+1-sqrt(3))(x-2)[/itex] is NOT a polynomial but the fact might or might not help you.

symbolipoint said:
[itex](x+1-sqrt(3))(x-2)[/itex] is NOT a polynomial but the fact might or might not help you.
o_O Why do you say that?

I should really recheck the textbook information for discussions about what expressions are and what are not polynomials, but a sum of terms which contains a constant which is irrational would not be a polynomial; a sum of terms which contains any irrational coefficient is not a polynomial. I may be wrong on one of those and could use some refinement in knowing how "polynomial" is defined. Tell I I'm correct or incorrect and give support - and I'll do a quick check on Wikipedia right now.

pwsnafu said:
o_O Why do you say that?
After a quick Wiki check, I seem supported, but true polynomial or not, this about a definition is likely not important to nmego's question. I simply noted the mention of the expression as a polynomial when in fact it is not a polynomial.

symbolipoint said:
I should really recheck the textbook information for discussions about what expressions are and what are not polynomials, but a sum of terms which contains a constant which is irrational would not be a polynomial; a sum of terms which contains any irrational coefficient is not a polynomial. I may be wrong on one of those and could use some refinement in knowing how "polynomial" is defined. Tell I I'm correct or incorrect and give support - and I'll do a quick check on Wikipedia right now.

There are polynomials with rational coefficients and polynomials with real coefficients (for which the roots are either real or in complex conjugate pairs) and polynomials with complex coefficients (for which, trivially, the roots do not necessarily come in conjugate pairs).

There was something I read a while ago, where a large number of students thought that the solution to the quadratic equation:

##\frac{-b \pm \sqrt{b^2 - 4ac}}{2a}##

only applied when ##a, b, c## were whole numbers. Whereas, of course, ##a, b, c## can be any real or complex numbers.

symbolipoint said:
After a quick Wiki check, I seem supported, but true polynomial or not, this about a definition is likely not important to nmego's question. I simply noted the mention of the expression as a polynomial when in fact it is not a polynomial.

This is really not right at all. Almost all the examples of polynomials have whole numbers as coefficients, but the coefficients can be any real or complex numbers.

In any case, what do you say?

##ax^2 + bx + c = 0##

Has solutions:

##x = \frac{-b \pm \sqrt{b^2 - 4ac}}{2a}##

Does this only apply when ##a, b, c## are integer/rational numbers? Or, can ##a, b, c## can be any real or complex numbers?

Last edited:
symbolipoint said:

No, polynomials exist over any ring, that includes reals and complex numbers. The algebraic definition of polynomial is as follows:

Let ##R## be a ring, and consider a subset of ##R^{\mathbb{N}}## defined as ##\{ p \in R^{\mathbb{N}} : \exists N \in \mathbb{N} , \forall i > N \, p_i = 0 \}##. That is consider all sequences with only finite number of non-zero terms. This is clearly a ##R##-module. We turn it into a ring by defining ##c_n = \sum_{i=0}^n a_i \, b_{n-i}##. It is easy to see this satisfies distributivity and associativity. We then define ##x = (0,1,0,0,0,\ldots)## and then we can re-write any of our sequences in terms of monomials because ##x^n## now forms a basis.

Last edited:
symbolipoint said:

What? That function is about as polynomial as polynomials get!

1. What is an equation root?

An equation root is a value that satisfies the given equation when substituted into it. It is the value at which the equation's graph intersects the x-axis.

2. How do I find the roots of an equation?

To find the roots of an equation, you can use various methods such as factoring, graphing, or using the quadratic formula. These methods help you solve for the values of x that make the equation true.

3. Can an equation have more than one root?

Yes, an equation can have multiple roots. This means that there can be more than one value of x that satisfies the equation and makes it true.

4. What does it mean when an equation has no real roots?

If an equation has no real roots, it means that there are no values of x that satisfy the equation and make it true. This can happen when the equation has imaginary solutions or when there is no intersection between the graph of the equation and the x-axis.

5. Why are roots important in math and science?

Roots are important in math and science because they help us solve equations and understand the behavior of functions. They also have real-world applications, such as finding the solution to a problem or determining the point of equilibrium in a system.