Formation of Mn(OH)3 from Mn(OH)2 and Oxygen

  • Thread starter Thread starter SUchica10
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Formation Oxygen
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 11K views
SUchica10
Messages
14
Reaction score
0
When hydroxide ion is added to Mn(II) in aqueous solution, an insoluble white precipitate of manganous hydroxide, Mn(OH)2, is formed. If there is oxygen present, this material reacts with it to form manganic hydroxide, Mn(OH)3


Part one was easy because it wasnt a redox it just needed to be balanced so I got:

+
2OH + Mn --> Mn(OH)2

The second part I am having trouble with...

+2 -2+1 0 +3 -2+1
Mn(OH)2 + O2 ---> Mn(OH)3

+2 -2+1 +3 -2+1
Oxidation - Mn(OH)2 ---> Mn(OH)3 + 1e-

0 -2+1
Reduction - O2 + 2e- ---> Mn(OH)3
(I don't understand this bc there's no Mn on the left side)

alright this I don't know if anyone can help me with because its really hard to type out and I don't think this is going to look like the way i set it up but if anyone can try to explain this to me through here it would be greatly appreciated.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
For starters, what do you have to do? Do you have to balance the redox rxn, or simply figure out the oxidation state?
 
After a simple search i got this


4Mn(OH)2 + O2 + 2H2O ==> 4Mn(OH)3