What Is the Metal in M(OH)2 with 32.8% Oxygen by Mass?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 4K views
ahhppull
Messages
59
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



A certain metal hydroxide, M(OH)2, contains 32.8% oxygen by mass. What is the identity of the metal M?

Homework Equations


O = 16.00 g x2
H = 1.008 g x2

The Attempt at a Solution



I thought that 1g = 1% of the mass because there are 32g of O and it composed of 32.8% of O. So then I thought it would be around 2% of H. Then I added 32.8% + 2% and subtracted it from 100%. This was supposely my answer. I thought it was Zinc and it was wrong.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You are not completely off, but you have to do your calculations using exact value of the oxygen percentage.

--